1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone/Kay UB Question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by 210superair, Sep 11, 2019 at 9:28 AM.

1. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    I saw this on my local CL, and I have what is probably a stupid question:

Why does this Epi UB have a Kay logo in the stock? Was a Kay neck put on this thing, or did the make parts for Epi or something?

Upright Bass Ephiphone Vintage

2. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    [​IMG]

3. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    [​IMG]

4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    That looks like an early 1950s Kay Chubby Jackson 5 string neck on an Epi body with a four string tailpiece...

unbrokenchain likes this.
  5. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Lol, yeah, derp. Sorry, I only noticed that after I posted. He must've put the pic in there by accident or something.

Do these old epi's really command around the 3k mark? That seemed expensive to me. I'm fairly new to the UB though, so I'm definitely on the learning curve as far as brands, etc. Reading as much as I can on here to learn as much as possible.

6. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    If it's an Epiphone with a Kay neck, it's not really an Epiphone - or a Kay.
    The only way I would pay $3k for it is if it a) is structurally sound, and b) plays and sounds great. Only one way to find out.

misterbadger likes this.
  7. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    $3k is about right for a clean, all-original, no neck repair Epi in my area. A "partscaster" (to borrow from the Tele world), not so much.

8. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    1958 Epiphone bass

Found this Epi in Cleveland. Cheap, but seller says it needs neck work. Not sure if it's bad juju or not to post CL ads on here? I figured maybe one of our forum friends in Cleveland may like it....

9. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    "Frankenphone?"

misterbadger and 210superair like this.
  10. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Or, if the Kay neck was ditched and the bass fixed by having an Epiphone neck united with it, that might be an Epi-cure.

11. misterbadger

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    If one had to cut the Epiphone neck to make it fit, it would be an Epi-siotomy, right?

Remyd likes this.
  12. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    And if cutting the neck changed the instrument's voice, that would be an Epi-glottis, would it not?

Remyd likes this.
  13. misterbadger

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Probably requiring an Epi-dural to fix it...

marcox and unbrokenchain like this.
  14. Sam_Brown1

Sam_Brown1

Jan 4, 2017
    Michigan
    I haven't been to this guys store, but I know that's a picture of a Chubby Jackson bass he had or still has. Personally to me this guy seems kinda arrogant, and most of his stuff seems overpriced ($5,500 for a kay?!). I've heard the same feelings from a lot of local luthiers.

15. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    But not before a diagnostic screening such as an Epi-gram.

16. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    ALL RIGHT!!! Shout-out for the harp guitar in the avatar.

james condino likes this.
  17. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Plenty of people advertise Epiphone basses in the $3500 price range, but I've never seen one actually sell for more than $2500. They have a peculiar following- somewhat smaller bodies, but they also had a great neck- plenty of mass, good looking materials and design, big confident scrolls, they tend to hold together well, they have an almost cult like following among the people whom are into them. Given the odd combination of parts, one can only imagine what the inside of a neck dovetail combining two dissimilar parts from different companies looks like and how it is holding. Kay dovetails were very underbuilt from poor materials; Epi's were a bit better, but still a guitar dovetail on a bass. The one thing I could see as a positive combination would be that the original nitrocellulose blonde color match from the two is likely a very close match if they are original.

As a whole, what I see is a $750 Epi parts body, an obscure $500 Kay 5 string neck, a $200 difficult to find, but in demand set of 4:1 (!!!) Kluson 5 string tuners, and a cool blonde Epi tailpiece with original badge worth about $150- approx. $1600 in randomly joined parts that may or may not combine well as a complete instrument; basically an old Datsun transmission in a '66 Mustang 6 cylinder coupe....That is the value to someone like myself who has a high demand for all of those individual parts for restoration work or for someone who wants a reasonably priced old plywood bass. For $2000, it is fairly easy to find a complete original Epiphone bass that you can sell much easier down the line. A solid 5 string Chubby Jackson Kay sells for approx. $3500 even though there are plenty of fools on ebay and reverb who have been advertising them for $5500 for 3 years with no buyers. Price and value only exist if someone is willing to pay for it.

It may also hurt your hands so bad you need a shot of Epi-nephrine to get through the gig...:smug:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 11:48 AM
  18. Sam_Brown1

Sam_Brown1

Jan 4, 2017
    Michigan
    Here's some undeniable proof, that picture of the neck is not from that bass, it's from this bass, Kay Upright Bass Chubby Jackson 5 string Model - Excellent condition. year 1944. | eBay. Picture 6 is the same as the one from the Epi craigslist ad, guy must have messed up and put the wrong picture in. Both basses seem original but if you ask me, both are horribly overpriced.