Epiphone Les paul bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oreomeister365, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Hey all, I've been looking into the epiphone les paul since I don't want to spend 2k on the gibson, yet the model appeals to me according to reviews it's a great bass sound wise.

Does anyone have any expirience with the epiphone version? how it sounds, etc. And just for the record, how the original gibson version sounds compared to it, but more importantly how this version sounds as a whole.

And last of all, is there a place I could find a dealer online who could order one in vintage sunburst left handed? because I couldn't find anyone selling vintage subursts, no less left handed one.

keep in mind this is the les paul model BASS we are speaking of...not a guitar..just in case you forgot that.

2. Check out Ben Folds Five. Their bassist, Robert Sledge, ran an Epiphone Les Paul bass throughout all of their records on guitar amps with fuzz on quite a number of their tunes and it sounded GREAT.
  3. SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I got mine in June of 2003 and it has been my "Number 1" gigging bass up to now. (I'm making the switch to a 5-banger, but still use the LP quite a bit.) I have it strung with Rotosound TruBass nylon wrapped flats. If you go to my band's myspace site ( http://www.myspace.com/deacondark ) you will find the first two tracks were recorded with that bass.

I found the bass didn't really have a lot of tonal variety regardless how I did the knobs. Other folks have said the same about this bass while I have seen reviews that state the opposite. But, it really didn't matter to me because the tone with everything wide open was just so good. Very strong low-mid punch, sits wonderfully in the mix (live and recording) with no EQ needed. Has sustain like no other bass I own; the notes seem to bloom and then ring out forever.

After all this praise, you might wonder why I'm moving away from this bass. Well, the tone is outstanding but I wanted to move to something a little more modern sounding. I also wanted the ability to get different tones from the bass so I went with active electronics. And, as I said, I'm moving more toward the 5-string these days.

Hope that helps.
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I had one for about a month. It buzzed like a MF and everything I did, I could not get it to fret correctly. I had the nut changed, I had the frets finished (I bought it brand new)< I had the bridge set and tweeked, and I had the truss worked on. NOTHING WORKED. After a month, I had to just bring it back to the store where I bought it. Thankfully, they did almost all the work and gave me all of my money back. My experience was very bad :bawl:
  5. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    Our old bass player had one. It had bad set up problems that were were able to fix pretty easily. I like LP basses but have trouble playing and singing with them. LP basses are all really thumpy to me. This also isn't my sound but I love the way Eddie Spaghetti's sounds on The Supersuckers records.
  6. If the LP shape is all you're after, then I suggest you try out an ESP EC404. Same basic shape, perhaps a little more integrity than an Epi. However, if you're after the Epi, then I understand, I 'm just tossing out some ideas.

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You could always build one from Warmoth. I have been looking into this for a while. Pretty fair price and a great product. Easy to put together, too. Very high quality and it would be unique.
  8. IMO you should try before 1 before you buy
  9. I played a Gretcsh(SP?) short scale @ GC today, had an LP body and one vintage 'bucker. Absolutely beautiful, I think I might save up for it, my girlfriend really seamed to like it's compactness, and playability, and whateve rgets her jammin' with me is a good thing.
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You definately need to try before you buy on this one. I do not like Gibson gear (save maybe the Bird). And Epiphone gear is Gibson gear with set up problems and bad pups. So I really don't like Epiphone gear. The only good sounding basses with LP bodies have been very boutique custom made basses.
  11. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    The only good sounding basses with LP bodies have been very boutique custom made basses.

I respectfully disagree. my son's '94 Gibson Les Paul sounds killer! we took out the Bart pre and wired it passive (2 vol, 2 tone) and it rawks. thankfully it does not sound like a Fender!
  12. eddie plays a violet gretsh.