1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

??? Epiphone Les Paul Special Bass ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mnutz, Jul 23, 2012.

1. mnutz

mnutz

Oct 23, 2007
    Anyone know anything about the currently available Epi Les Paul Special Bass? I've searched and can't find much info at all.

I'm a guitar player who has played bass off and on about 5 years. I've owned 2 basses, a MIM Fender Standard P Bass, and a G&L SB-1 (also P style). I don't currently have a bass and want to get one again. I play punk/roots rock/alt country/ etc., whatever all that means. Everyone of my fave bands and bass heroes play a P bass. I've never even seen anyone play a Les Paul bass, except Eddie Spaghetti from Supersuckers, and hey those guys tear it up!

I was about to pull the trigger on a Squier Matt Freeman sig, when I saw this Epi Les Paul Special. This thing looks pretty cool, and different. My budget right now is about $400, and I have to buy online. I just live too far away from any music stores (8 hour round trip).

What about this Les Paul Special? Anyone here own one?

2. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I don't own one, but I considered buying one a while back. After playing it at the store, I felt it just wasn't for me. The neck dive was pretty bad. An LP shaped bass is the kind of thing you either love or hate. Since you have experience with a P-bass and were considering getting one, I vote go with the P. Either the Matt Freeman if you like that, or a classic vibe 60's if you want another color/slightly different style

3. mnutz

mnutz

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for the info.

I just watched a review from Nevada Music and the Epi sounded really good.

4. I have one. It was my first bass too. The odd body shape, chunky neck, and neck dive wasn't a problem for me at the time because it was all I really knew. Now after playing countless different basses, I really appreciate learning on it because playing basses that are more ergonomic come so much easier for me now. The hardware is kind of cheap, but it works. On the plus side, the pickups are strong considering the price point. It makes for a great rock/metal bass. I don't regret saying it was my first bass at all.

5. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Last time I played one at a store, I was really, really impressed with how nice it was for the price. I think they've gone up a bit since then, but even for more money, I'd still say it was a good deal. Maybe I played a particularly good one, but, there is at least the potential for this to be a really good bass. It doesn't feel or sound like a Fender, of course, so you can't really compare it to a bass like that. But if you like how it looks and feels, get it! Epiphones are generally better than people give them credit for. If I didn't already have a Gibson LP-style bass, I probably would have bought one.