1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone Les Paul Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikio, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Anybody has played it? is it worth it's price?

I'm about to make a deal, and I might buy it quite cheaper, but I wanna know if the bass is any good. If not I might as well re sell it and gain some cash, but still, I like the design, so I hope I can keep it :ninja:

2. lmerang

lmerang

Dec 22, 2008
    How much are you paying for it? I bought one a while ago for around $300. It was okay.

3. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I've played one, it was allright. Didn't "wow" me at all, I'd say it's average pretty much all around. Their Les Paul Special isn't as nice as the Les Paul Standard they made back in the 90's. I own one of those and love it. If you can find one of those you'd be better off IMO.

Dave

4. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    well, here in Chile a brand new one costs 534USD

and I'd be buying it for 310USD at max

DRafalske: I don't think I could get one of those, the market here is quite small, and I can't import big stuff, because I need some kind of license or something XD and then pay the taxes and blablabla

PS: anyway, I'd get it as a cheap bass to hang around with, take it to college and gigs, not as my "oh beloved" bass, haha ^_^, so I wonder if it's worth for that kinds of stuff

5. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    sucks, dont buy

6. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    lol, most comments are negative, I guess I'll keep the money

thanks

7. Well, I've bought one from a TB'er. It is not a bad bass at all but the feeling is very different compared to Fenders.
    The single cutaway design results in bass being a little neck heavy and the first frets are a little far. Unplayable? No, it is not bad but requires some time to get used to it.
    I personally hate thick necks and this one is hair thicker than what would feel comfortable for me, so after being sure how deep is the truss rod, I'm planning to shave the neck profile a little. The bridge is not that catastrophic three point Gibson bridge, so you are safe with it. The bridge is pretty heavy (which is believed to add more sustain). The finish is nice and mine being a cherry sunburst, looks like a lolipop and I admire its color.
    For sound, I had already decided to change the stock
    PUs with active EMG's even the bass was on the way to me. The stock PUs are so-so, they did not change my mind about swapping them with EMGs. Hopefully, EMGs will be direct fit in size. My LP Special has got a problem with the pots but I don't care about it as they will soon be replaced as soon as I find reasonably priced EMG 35DC and 35CS (if someone considers selling their 35DC and/or 35 CS please send me a PM), I already have the EMG preamp.
    So my suggestion would be to play it if you have the possibility and see how it feels for you. I would not suggest it blindly, it is not a bad bass but different so YMMV.