Epiphone Les Paul Standard bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Midboss, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Midboss

Midboss

Sep 22, 2017
    Lecce, Italy
    Hi everyone, i'm new to this community! I read a lot on this forum but never took part to any discussion tho.

I'm doing It now: i own this awsome (imho) ephiphone Les Paul bass, kinda hard to find -in Italy where i live anyway- and i love It. It's preowned tho and former owner had the brillant idea to replace original pickups with some crappy Select by EMG. They are terrible. Belive me. Now, i would love to replace them but (and here is the problem) they seems to be impossible to find. I'm not looking for original pickups, this is a '98 bass that probably didn't sell a lot. I'm looking for fitting, decent pickups. I found that EMG HBCS pickups should be ok and They should fit. So far tho they are my only choice, and since they cost 200€, i would go through every possible solution.

Any idea?
    Thanks

IMG_20170922_142355.jpg IMG_20170922_142407.jpg IMG_20170922_142413.jpg IMG_20170922_142707.jpg IMG_20170922_142715.jpg

2. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I'm in a similar situation wanting to replace the pickups in my Les Paul bass. What did you end up going with?

3. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Christine and Plectrum72 like this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Depending on budget, I've used a few cheap Artec HXTN pickups in basses. These things are wound hot, and have a massive blade per coil. They are basically a Dimarzio X2N clone (hence the name) and are also known as Guitarfetish Power Rails in the US. These are guitar pickups, but the technology is one and the same and they work well in basses. Good for an aggressive rock tone, especially if you use a pick and round-wounds.

ycbkamtwivudpdi4uol8.jpg

I have three cream HXTNs lined up to go in a fretless bass.

Plectrum72 likes this.
  5. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Those Rio Grande are probably a good option. I've played some nice epis but their pickups are usually a weak point.

If you don't like EMGs you're fairly likely to not like other EMGs especially in this form factor.

6. Midboss

Midboss

Sep 22, 2017
    Lecce, Italy
    I've considered EMGs but really don't like them. They may be the only viable option tho, since there are no easy to find pickups that fit in there.
    Rio Grande's pickups are more expensive then the bass itself but could do the job. Also not easy to find in Italy, sadly.
    I've never heard of those Artec, i'll look into them. I've considered to have the pickups built from someone too, but again, is an expensive option.
    I've abandoned this project for now since i've found a great Jazz for very few money and i'm playing that now, but i'll find a way to fix that Epi. It's too good to leave it sitting there taking dust.

"Q", Axstar and Plectrum72 like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021