1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HWK2, Oct 6, 2000.

1. I have seen and played (messed around with) a Les Paul guitar.. I want to know what the bass is like (since I play bass like all you fine people :) ). I my opinion it looks DEAD sexy, and I love the finish.. GC sells them for $420... (Epiphones).. Anyone played one? What are they like?

Thanks

2. I play an Epiphone Les Paul bass. I don't think it's standard, I've never seen one exactly like it. It has the sunburst, but it is unbound, it has all black hardware,and EMG Selects. I believe the standard has chrome hardware and different pickups. I got mine used for $300; almost perfect condition (few minor scratches, dents).

When I bought it, the strings were bigger than standard and the action was very high. I gave the truss a good crank and that put the action a little lower. I liked the way it played so I kept the strings and slightly lower action.

I like the sound I get out of it, but I'm looking to replace the EMG Selects. It has a real dark sound- nothing like a Fender for instance, but not like one of John Turner's monsters either (just kidding). I play rockabilly, surf, ska, reggae, and a little punk with it. It's not t great for punk, but for most other things it's a good darker-sounding bass. I like to use it with a Boss Bass Overdrive stompbox or a Fuzz stompbox. I can get a mean, raunchy, death sound out of it like that when I want to.

So overall I would definatly recommend it. Once again, I don't have a standard, but what I have has treated me right. I don't like Les Paul guitars at all (looks & sound)but my bass looks "damn sexy." I don't really like the bound version with the chrome hardware. It looks too much like an actual Les Paul. That about covers it I guess.

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police