Epiphone Les Paul

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hounddawg, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Hounddawg

Nov 4, 2000
    I'm thinking of buying an Epiphone Les Paul Standard bass and was wondering if anyone out there who has actually played one would care to comment on them. I've toyed with one for less than an hour and was pleased with it ( a little heavy but I think I could get used to it), but haven't played one long enough to really get to know them.
  2. amatshoew

Nov 22, 2000
    I haven't actually played one of the les paul basses, but I tend to be wary of any bass design which started as a guitar shape.

I don't know how relevant it is (being a completely different shape and all), but I know I was less than impressed with the epiphone sg bass my girlfriends sister purchased. It had an incredibly heavy neck and head, which because of the strap position meant that you had to actually support a lot of weight with your fretting hand, making the thing a bastard to play for any length of time. It wasn't so much that the instrument was heavy, just that it was balanced horribly.

Just make sure you try and play it standing up before you buy it.
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I own a Gibson LP Standard (mid-90's) and it is a monster, both in weight and sound. I wouldn't be wary of a bass with a body shape in common with a guitar. I've played a couple of the recent Epi LP reissues and they are pretty nice as well and have a similar feel, though you may eventually want to upgrade the pickups- typically the weak point in Epis. The Epiphone SG style (EB) "reissues", OTOH, were less than impressive, at least the five string I tried a few weeks ago.

The LP basses IME are quite heavy but have an interesting "hang" -- center of gravity or whatever puts them right in the perfect place and mitigates much of their weight, and they are actually more comfortable than the heavier Fenders I have.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY

Sep 10, 2000
    the neck on the SG felt heavy cuz the SG is heavy by nature. all SG's even guitars do that you just need to be buff and get a suede strap....that should work, but what kind of epiphone SG was it? i hope it wasn't an EBO cuz those re-issues really suck, just get a realy old one...
    anyways...i don't think the head-heavy thing is that much of a problem on the LP cuz the LP has so much more body mass to it than the thin SG....better balanced but heavier...hope this helped...
  6. amatshoew

Nov 22, 2000
    no idea what kind of sg it was, beyond that it was epiphone and new.

anyway, i think as long as the lp is balanced better it should be okay. weight wasn't as much of a problem as the balance anyway. and like rets said, just get big and get a big thick strap.
  7. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Why out of all the fine (and cheaper) basses of world would you want a les paul bass? And why an epiphone?
  8. Hounddawg

Nov 4, 2000
    Because I like the way the LP looks and sounds.

My main concern with the LP was their weight, which I am not used to. I've only been playing for a year, and my "fine and cheaper" basses which I have now aren't quite so heavy. I haven't heard too many negatives from people who actually play the LP (thanks, BTW, to everyone who has replied), so I think I will go ahead and buy one. However, if anyone has suggestions as to a favorite bass in the $400-500 range, I'll gladly go try it out.
  9. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    HD,Epi is making some fine basses these days.Dont listen to this nonsense that they're no good or how bad Korean quality is.I have an Epi myself and would not hesitate to buy another when the time comes.Sure,there are some lemmons but everyone else has their share as well.Try,buy,enjoy.Good luck!
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought my wife an Epiphone Les Paul Studio model guitar, and the fit & finish on this instrument is outstanding.

Granted, it's not quite up there with the $2000 list Gibson studio model, but we bought this guitar for $299 and it is killer.

There is some great stuff coming out of Korea nowadays, almost as good as Japanese stuff, although the electronis is where they cut corners.

And I have played the Epiphone Ripper, Thunderbird, EB0, EB3 and Hofner copy, and they are some darned good basses for the money.
  11. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Sorry this is off topic but wasn't the Hofner a copy of the Gibson so there for the Epiphone would be like a remake of the original violin bass, if that's what your saying.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not really, dox.

The Gibson EB1 or whatever the model of the 32" scale violin shaped bass with the endpin where you could play it upright is older than the Hofner, but the Hofner was an original design, it was semi hollow and had totally different pickups and electronics from the Gibson.