1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone LP... worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Essthreetee, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I have an opportunity to buy a 2005 (according to serial number) Cherryburst LP Standard. It is a beautiful bass, in excellent condition, and plays very good. I have searched (if you can point me to threads I have missed, please do so) but can't find anything to go by.

The guy is asking $350...said he would do $300.

Is this a good price? Overpriced? Or correctly priced?

Thanks in advance

2. What year? Where was it made? I have an Epi LP Special (not a Standard) bass that like quite a bit, but I paid way less than $300 for it.

OTOH, if it's carved top with a set neck, it may be worth it.

3. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    It has the flamed maple top, set neck, chrome humbuckers (with vol/tone, vol/tone) and pearl trap inlays.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "carved" top...but it is not flat...has some curve to the front

4. Without a pic, I'd take a wild guess by saying it might be worth $300, but that would be the top end of it's price range. The Korean Epiphones are generally considered the more desirable, not sure if they moved production from Korea by 2005. It should say where it was made.

If you really like the bass, then you should buy it.

Good luck!

5. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    It's a fair deal for 300 bucks if it's in a top notch condition. I had one, an MIK example, and it was pretty decent for a two humbucker passive bass. The only thing I had gripes about on mine, was the baseball bat thick neck that made even the chubbiest of P-Bass necks look slim in comparison. Other than that, it was a very nice passive bass for the money. As to the neck thickness I can't say that all examples of the breed were cut that way. It didn't have any dead spots on the neck, I'll tell you that. I ended up selling it, to help pay for my fretless J-Bass which I needed more at the the time I sold it.

6. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I had one and that's a fair price if it's in good shape.
    +1 on the chunky neck.

7. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    It is in Very Good Condition...only one small scratch on the back of the body...I will try to post pics later.

According to Serial Number it was made in Saein Plant, Korea

I like the neck, it feels nice...coming from playing a 5 string BTB (wanting a 4 string)

8. wysiwyg73

wysiwyg73

Dec 15, 2011
    UK
    Presumably similar to the one I've just purchased to learn on. Mine's a 2004 model manufactured in the Unsung factory.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Bass 01 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Seems like we pay a little more for our kit this side of the pond. :meh: