1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone Nikki Sixx Blackbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xavier Knox, Apr 7, 2009.

1. I made a phone call to the local guitar shop today and ordered myelf an Epiphone Nikki Sixx Blackbird. I'm going in later to out a downpayment on it and I'm actually trading my fretless Squier Vintage Modified Jazz towards the cost. I've recently decided that fretless just ain't for me.

I'm gonna get strap locks for the Blackbird and string it with DR Black Beauties much as I've done with my Epiphone Thunderbird Goth.

Coming this summer, my sunburst Epiphone Thunderbird. :bassist:

2. I have been considering looking into one of these. Not a huge huge T bird fan but I'd shell out the money for a nicer Epi (Gibby's just too expensive for me). Keep us up to date on what you think of it. They sure are cool looking.

3. For sure. Its likely going to be a few weeks before I get to lay hands on it but when I do I'll post a review.

If I don't like it I'll just be getting my sunburst T-bird a bit sooner than planned. ;)

I'm pretty sure I'll like it though. The only thing I'm a little unsure of is the lack of volume and tone controls.

4. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I had the Gibson version, and the lack of controls didn't bother me... it was nice to not have to check anything before playing... if you hear your bass, it is on, if you don't it is off! :)

5. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I have always loved how Tbirds look, but never liked playing them.

6. Thanks for the input. Now my mind feels a bit more at ease.

7. So I've had my Blackbird for about three months now and love it.

The bass fits me like a glove and plays totally different from my other Thunderbird.

The bass is lighter than I anticipated and lacks the neck dive of my Thunderbird.

Overall, a great bass for the money.

8. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    Curious how many Epiphones you have....

Why don't people buy used Gibsons? I can find ~$1000 used Birds on the reg, and "damaged and repaired" ones for much less. Got mine for $660. Took some searching and some patience, but its worth every single penny. Especially if you are a T Bird fan like myself.... do yourself a favor and get a used Gibson!

9. I live in an area where Gibsons are rare and used Gibsons for sale are even more rare. I could look out of area but then I'm buying an instrument I have never laid my hands on and I'm not a big fan of doing that. Plus if I buy from the States I have to pay shipping, customs, taxes, etc. and the list goes on. So I'll just stick to my Epiphones which I've become quite the fan of.

I currently own two Epiphones, one Nikki Sixx Blackbird and a Goth Thunderbird, and I'm looking to add two more Thunderbirds to my collection before too long.

10. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    Ah, I didn't see your location. I know what you mean. I have family in N.S. and its far from everything!

I bought my Gibson unseen, but I guess that's just the risk you need to take. A good documentation of all damage and actual condition of the instrument is key. I understand the hesitation, I just feel like you will be blown away with a Gibson, especially if you are a T Bird lover. Please consider it. Despite what the internet says, they are worlds apart and worth every single cent! I promise this.

11. I do plan to buy a Gibson down the road. It will definently be a Thunderbird when I do and I would prefer a Nikki Sixx Thunderbird. Although when I buy it will be new and its going to cost me a mint plus may land me back on the single block if the better half objects.

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Does Gibson make the Nikki Sixx Tbird anymore? Either way, if you do find one, then you should prepare yourself for dealing with neck dive.

13. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    OMG, stop with the neckdiving comments. Epiphones are KINDA bad, but Gibsons are not at all. Neck through, proper woods used, and strap button location on the Gibson makes them much more balanced. Remember that is the original Thunderbird... Epiphoens are just copies, they don't have to be perfect!

As for the recent Nikki signature bass... its awesome. I had a chance to play one. Wow. Even compared to a regular T Bird, I thought it was a great improvement. Nothing I would sell my bird for, but the tone is T-Bird turned to 11, and the finish is amazing. I would change the mirrored pick guard to either white or black, and it would be perfect.

I have found Nikki sig models for around... $1600. The only problem I see is you won't find a really worn used one, and I like used basses with a nice fine age to them!

14. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    To be honest, the strap button was in a different place on my Gibson Blackbird than it is on a standard Gibson Thunderbird. My Blackbird neckdove like the dickens, but a regular Thunderbird is not bad at all (on those the strap attaches to the back.) The strap attachment can be moved, but you do have to add a new hole.

The main beef I have with Gibson Thunderbirds is how easily the headstocks break... if you are careful, it is not a problem, but I am clumsy. :)

15. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'm glad you got the chance to play a Blackbird bass. That's nice. I happen to own one. I'm telling you for a fact that the Blackbird neck dives like crazy.

Blackbirds come up from time to time on ebay, and considerably less than $1,600. I would suggest that if you like a nice fine age on a bass, you put one on it yourself by playing it.

16. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    Yeah the angled headstock, thin nut width and neck shape make for the 1 weak spot on the bass... But that's why the T Bird necks are so much nicer to play than any Fender! I'll deal with it! Also, my Bird came with a cracked and repaired headstock.

That's how to make them strong... once they are glued with a dowel in there, they are stronger than an unbroken one.

Like I said, I love used charismatic instruments!

And yeah on the Blackbird, the strap button is where Nikki had his. But moving strap buttons is super easy to get the balance you want with the specific strap you use. Oh well.

17. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    I'm not talking about the Blackbird... I am talking about the Nikki sig model. The black cherry one.

Here:

BAN2BCBC1-Finish-Shot-.

It has the proper heel-mounted strap button, maple wings for a slightly different tone, a dull finish (no need to sand the neck), etc... Killer looks!

Anyways, we already talked about how the Blackbird had weird strap button locations...

18. This is the bad boy that I want. Its been added to my Christmas wish list. If this was all that was under my tree at Christmas I wouldn't complain at all.

Although I wonder how long it will be before they make some changes and move it to the Epiphone line as they did with the Blackbird. I see some of those around on Ebay and such evert once in a while.

19. BrianKrashpad

BrianKrashpad

May 4, 2009
    Well, because I got my Epi T-bird for a hundred bucks.

3500424819_53848e9cf3_o.

And I can't afford spending more than 6 times that to get a glued-in neck and a different name on the headstock.

I'm sure the Gibsons are nicer. In a perfect world, I'd have one.