Epiphone non reverse thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UnfortunateTony, Sep 5, 2010.

1. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle
    Okay so I fund an ad for one of these babies for 350 bucks. Is this a fair price? I know that these things are rare (or at least the gibson ones are) and I'm a bit of a T Bird enthusiast myself. Does anybody happen to own one? If so how do they sound?

2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    350.00 is a fair price for one these, they were only made for a short time but in the true sense of the word aren't all that rare. Both 4 and 5 string models were made and they had a P/J pickup arrangement, which combined with a bolt on neck gives a very Fenderesque tone - No big surprise! Not saying it's bad, just not very Thunderbird.
    A far better Non Reverse Thunderbird is made currently by BaCH, it's set neck and uses an Artec pickup(s), far more faithful to the late '60s Gibson - put a Mike Lull pickup in and viola! Vintage Thunderbird tone at a fraction of the cost :)

BaCHS019.jpg

3. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Brother, you've just gotten input from the TB T-bird authority.
    Mind it well. :bassist:

4. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle
    Thanks man! That BaCH looks awesome! is there somewhere I can get like a thunderbird decal or something?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW I played one of those Epiphone non-reverse 5'ers a couple of times, and it was surprisingly good-sounding and playable. Mind you, I am not saying it sounded or played anything like a true vintage T-Bird; only that it was a pretty good bass.

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Yeah, I had the fiver for about a year, but really struggled with the string spacing, tho it did have nice tone. I think the 4 string in Seafoam was cool, missed out on that one.