Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone... or bologna??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sawblade6, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Sawblade6

Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    Are epiphone basses any good?? I`m newer than new to the bass so i`m buying a "biginner" kit with amp and everything. And one such kit is an epiphone EB-O. It 30 inches long and says its ideal for short people, but im not short. So do you think there will be a disadvantage, and is it a good bass?? Thanks alot.
    Keep on Rock`n in the free world.... that has a new context to me now that ive been in Japan for 9 months.

Joseph
    USMC

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its not a bad bass at all. Better than most basses that come in starter packs.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You might also consider an Ibanez starter pack with a GSR200 bass. It's standard 34" scale will make it easier to transition to a new bass down the road unless you want to only play short scale basses like the EB-0. Good luck.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also Yamaha............ just stray from Squier, Silvertone..

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    IMO, I'd go with the Yamaha, unless, like the Fig said, you have a thing for 30" scales. And yes, stray FAR away from Squire. I've never handled a Silvertone, though, so I can't offer any advice there.

6. Sawblade6

Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    what about Rogue?? or Dean... they any good? Thanks for the other info, that really helped

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Rogue is one of the sorriest, cheapest POS I have seen called a bass. I would much rather have a Dean; if that were my choices.

8. Sawblade6

Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    haha, must really not like them...I have no clue so you guys are really helping me out and i thank y`all very much.

9. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    How much money do you want to spend Marine? Are you in Okinawa or mainland Japan? I would suggest you try a couple of basses before you make up your mind. Also, I am personally leary of starter packs. The are some really good amps out there for less than $100, and some good starter basses for less than $300. Feel free to e-mail me.

Mario T Majors, OSC(SW) USN. :D

10. Sawblade6

Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    Hehehe.... navy is always push`n them buttons. I work directlly with the navy on Okinawa. We take turns rib`n on eachother. But i really dont want to spend a giant amount. 300 is about where i want to cut it off. How great does a first bass have to be?? I can always buy a new one down the road when i learn how to use the "crappy" one. But thats just my mind set on the situation. I can always upgrade.

Joseph
    USMC

AHHHHHHHHHHH...........let see your WAR face.

I really do live for this BS :mad:

11. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Hmmm.... maybe you could pickup a nice Japanese made bass while your there? I'm sure you could find an instrument shop with used equipment. Some of Ibanez's and Yamaha's basses start in the 175-200 range and are really good for starters, on up to borderline-pro! The Ibanez starter pack comes with an amp, bag, etc. and is only $300 (from Musician's Friend). Personally, I'd scope out a used bass, first. My first bass was a J. Reynolds P-bass, and it's solid as a rock! I only paid $150 (new) for it.

12. vampirejR3

vampirejR3

Sep 23, 2000
    San Deigo, CA
    my first bass was a short scale (30"). It was 90$ brand new. Don't even bother, when you go to get a full scale bass it's like switching from driving automatic to driving stick. You still know how to drive, it's just weird. It was a sucky bass. Starter packs scare me because for like 200$ you get all this stuff and whatever, but it's all pretty much bottom of the barrell or near it. If you don't know if you are really going to get into it, go for the starter pack. That way, if it's not you, you didn't spend alot. If it's something you really want to do try to save up a little more or get something a little nicer used. Peavey makes some good inexpensive amps and just about every company has a good entry level priced bass. I am an ibanez guy myself.
    MM3 Dolan, USN
    (another sailor...)

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Rondo has an Essex starter pack now for $279. I have the same bass - SPB-62 - and it is a nice bass, much better than the Epiphone. Read the Essex megathread to see how many people really like these basses. They are the best low cost bass I've found, I've gigged with mine. I don't think they would ship to Okinawa, but maybe you could get someone in the US to get it for you and ship it to you.

http://www.rondomusic.net/spb62k.html

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Oh yeah! I forgot about Essex. They're not the best quality, but supposedly, they're rock-solid. I know a lot of people buy them and then replace the pickups and electronics, but the existing stuff should work fine for now. In the "Basses" forum... oh wait... this is the Basses forum... there's a big thread dedicated to Essex, so check that out for more info.

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

They are very good quality for the price. Better than Squier, about equal to MIM Fender. The pickups are surprisingly good. I changed mine, but didn't really need to.

16. They all come from the same factory in Korea or China, just the name on the headstock was changed to protect the innocent . . . ;)

17. vampirejR3

vampirejR3

Sep 23, 2000
    San Deigo, CA
    Hey, just wondering what you ended up with. I know its been awhile since you posted this forum but between deployments and all else thats going on in my life its been awhile since I got onto talkbass. Hows the low end treating you?