EPIPHONE P/J Ripper Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boomfunk, Feb 11, 2006.

1. boomfunk

Jun 6, 2005
    I've always loved rippers but, alas, the old gibsons are expensive and the first epis only had one chunky humbucker.
    I thought the p/j version might go down nicely with a SD Quarter Pounder?:bassist:
    Anyone played/got one. they're only came out this year
  2. Does anyone here know when these will be available? They were announced this year @ NAMM as a part of Epiphone's "Guitar of the Month" series, and from what I have found (actually, HAVEN'T found is closer to the truth) online, I am led to be believe they aren't out yet. Any details?
  3. Didn't know about this. I am intrigued!
  4. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    This is it! It doesn't have that stupid lousy 3 point bridge either.
    I got G.A.S BIG TIME !!!.....

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That's what I wanna know, too...
  6. I thought the Rippers were mostly fretless though...:confused:
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That looks great, but I would really have preferred the old sliding humbucker. Everybody and their Momma already has a P/J design.:meh:
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    But that means you can find better pickups to put in it without routing.

If you want better sound than the sliding 'bucker, what can you replace it with?
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

That would not have been a problem. My guess is that something like Bartolini or EMG soapbars would have fit it.
  10. GRRRRR!!!!

Nov 9, 2005
    someone's got to know, i have major GAS, does anyone know how much it's gonna cost?
  12. I know.... so many questions and NO answers!

I am intrigued by the humbucker/soapbar train of thought... Depending on the price, it might be totally feasible and worth it to rout out one of the pickups to put in a hb or soapy. ahhh.... GAS increase - imagine that tone!
  13. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I hope this can put an end to my pseudo-permanent search for a used Ripper.
  14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  15. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
  16. they should put a MM 'bucker or some kind of humbucker in the middle, then it'd be orgasmic
  17. jesus... i have seen that "modified" ripper on ebay for months and months. what an awful thing someone did to that poor bass!

here's an ultra HQ pic of the ripper reissue. I'll continue to post info as i come across it. :)
    the ripper!
  18. http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=&CollectionID=12

Click there and then click "new models" then click "Epiphone Debuts New Models At 2006 NAMM Show" Further down that page their are some details. This is what it says for the lazy people.

"Ltd. Ed. RIPPER Bass - The Ripper is back from the past with a few new features straight from the Epiphone Custom Shop. With a hard maple body is a bass player’s and matching maple neck and fingerboard, it's a bass player's delight. The back of the neck has a satin finish for smooth feel while the fingerboard is a high gloss polyurethane finish to give years of protection. For great sustain, we’ve added a brass nut and a bolt on style bridge giving maximum transfer of sound. Add to that a new PJ pickup configuration with individual volume controls, master tone and a three way toggle, the Ripper delivers a complete tonal spectrum from thundering rock lines to delicate jazz counterpoint."