epiphone Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SantasCabanaBoy, Feb 21, 2001.

1. SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    I am considering buying an epiphone ripper or explorer or Tbird bass as a backup.

Are the electronics any good on these basses? The pickups dont seem to hot but i would really like some opinions. I figure i could always buy the ripper and replace its pickup with a real ass kicker.

thanks in advance
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I owned an Epiphone (fretless EBM-5) a while back and can say that the pickups/electronics were the weakest link in the chain- it was otherwise very well made. They weren't awful, but weren't great.

"I figure i could always buy the ripper and replace its pickup with a real ass kicker."

Given that used original Rippers are often going for under $500 (I just bought a used fretted model to match my fretless for $450 - and am lovin' it!), and new (already discontinued) Epiphone Rippers are close to $300 -- add your pickup cost to that and you're getting close to the real thing.

And while your Epiphone will likely lose value, the Gibson Ripper will possibly gain or at least retain its value.

And the Gibson is two pickup, set-in neck, and is a monster. The Epiphone is a single pickup with a bolt-on neck, and isn't.

My case for the real thing.

currently on eBay: