Epiphone Power Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Claude, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Claude

Jul 31, 2000
    Would anyone care to fill me in on a little bit of the history of this bass? I've got a '93 which was really cheap, but actually plays and sounds, well, so so....
  2. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    The Power bass was actually the weak bass in the Epi line and was discontinued in 1998.
    The Accu bass and Rock bass are much better. I don't mean to imply that it is a BAD bass.....it just was not up to the other's standards and didn't sell well.
  3. number28

May 4, 2000
    Cheap or not, I'd stay clear of anything made by epiphone minus maybe the Jack C. sig bass. I'd go for a DeArmond if you want something cheap but well made, or a cheap fender... or even just something used, anything but epiphone (this comes from someone who's owned one and has heard similar complaints from friends/others/band members)

You're much better off heading down to an arts and crafts store and somewhere where they have a xerox machine if you want an
    epiphone. Do the following:
    Shape a piece of plywood in desired shape
    Scan a picture of a Gibson
    Print it, paste on plywood
    Grab a box of rubber bands
    Get 4 thumb tacks, place at top of wood
    Wrap Rubber bands around tacks
    Go to radioshack, install a jack
    Go to the junkyard and find some cheap electronics parts, build some pickups

There you have it ladies and gentleman, a basic outline of how to own a new epiphone in under an hour!

All in good humour [​IMG]
  4. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    #28......Not sure where you get your info, but Epiphones are made by Gibson's guidelines and must meet their standards.
    Also....I have owned Epiphone basses and believe them to be some of the best deals on the market....especiallly the EBM series.
    The overall quality is MUCH better than the MIM Fenders.
    To each their own, I guess.... [​IMG]
    Jackie Smith likes this.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know where number28 is coming from, either. I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Studio guitar, and the fit & finish on it blows away MIM stuff(strats & teles), and I've played & considered buying the Beatle bass copy, the Ripper copy, and the Thunderbird copy.. granted, they're not real Gibson's(or Hofners for that matter) but for the price they are great deals.

I will second the DeArmond recommendation, however. I've got a newbie bass buddy who bought the Pilot 5 string, and for $379.00 this bass kicks butt!
  6. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Number 28...you are aware that Epiphone IS Gibson, right? Sort of like Fender's Squier line...(or Fender's DeArmond line, for that matter.)

I've no opinions on Epiphone basses, generally not my thing, but I've loved their 335 Dot guitar.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Or Fender's Guild line or Fender' Sunn Line. Hmmm... I'm gonna start a thread in miscellaneous about these instrument mergers... Tomorrow. It's kinda late :oops: (to me that smiley's a yawn)

Will C.:cool:
  8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    My first bass was an Epiphone Rock bass. Double J pickups, which I replaced with EMGs. I wish I had that bass back, as it was one of the easiest playing, best sounding basses I ever played.
  9. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    I dug through the archives and found a shot of me playing the Epiphone Rock Bass in a club situation. I figured I'd post it for the comedic value. :)

This is with my progressive hard rock power trio Ransomed Soul...

This shot is circa 1992, from a now defunct rock club in South Jersey called the "Galaxy."

Sometimes I miss my hair. :(
  10. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH

A headset mic
    One hand on a bass
    One hand on a synth (Is that a Casio?)

Dude, you ARE Geddy Lee...cool! :)

11. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Is that a Casio CZ-101???? I still have mine. It's super little keyboard!
  12. Damarunwolf

Mar 22, 2000
    The sound of my backup bass, an Epiphone Ripper, always seems to draw compliments at gigs, and for a bass that retails only around $500.00, I find the craftsmanship to be beyond adequate. Always comes back to the same question to me when I see any instrument get flamed...Can you play it???
  13. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    A better question asked, when ANY instrument is flamed...is have YOU played it? Do you have "hands-on" knowledge about it?
  14. Claude

Jul 31, 2000
    After a gig last weekend, the compliments came about the music, not the instruments. This felt right.
  15. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Grin. Yeah, we were pretty over the top. And it was a lot of fun. :D

And that was before I had the wireless headset mic and a bass wireless. THAT's when it got really nuts. There were only three of us, with no clear "frontman," so we did everything we could to keep the show animated (my then -- and current -- guitar player, Scott, had the same wireless setup.) We were often off the stage and all over the club. And I'd set up the keyboard in the corner of the stage, out of the way, and play some chords along with 3 or 4 of our songs. Our motto was, if it's on the tape, we're playing it live, dammit!

I guess you never really fully outgrow it; in a session project I'm currently doing for our former studio engineer, called The Connie Project, I'm singing, playing bass, and jamming on Taurus pedals. :rolleyes:

Actually, it's the CZ-1000 - the same engine with full-size keys (at least I think that was the difference.) True oscillators and programmability. An interesting piece, but we could only find 1 or 2 useful sounds in it for that band. It's my current keyboard player's board, and unfortunately it was scavenged for parts a few years ago. :(
  16. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    If YOU like the bass thats all that matters.I have their Casady bass and its superb!Epi is making quite a few nice basses/guitars these days.Like ALL mass produced instruments they have their share of lemons,but if you look around youll find some real gems as well.I would not hesitate to buy another Epi.Enjoy!
  17. The Deej

The Deej

May 24, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Thanks to this board I've been able to find the model for the used bass I just bought but still trying to figure out the year. The only identifying mark is instead of saying just Epiphone at the top it says Epiphone by Gibson.

Any ideas?
  18. rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    At present im playing 3 epiphones, 2 electric and 1 acoustic. My epiphone pro 4 thunderbird is the finest bass i have ever owned, oh, did i mention i have owned pedulla,rickenbacker and fender basses?
  19. autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Those tbird pros are damn sexy. I've been GASing for once since they came out. The weight is somewhat of a turn off though for longer sets.
  20. rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    I cant argue with that. The thunderbird is heavy!