Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Rivoli II - ideas, please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Jul 30, 2005.

1. I recently acquired a Rivoli II, the korean built 90s reissue with two pups.

I was thinking of scrapping the mini humbucker and the mudbıckers and just installing a Precision pup in the sweet spot.

I like the general sound of Precision pickups (I am thinking of the Original P pup..the '62 RI pup). They have a very rich texture, and I think would suit to Rivoli down to the ground.

What do you think? Would this work?

Please don't move this to pickups...it's really about the bass.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you thought about Darkstars?

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    A precision in the sweet spot would just leave you with a very ugly bass and requre more routing. If you can afford it, Darstars are definately the way I would go. Also, consider a pair of passive bartolini humbuckers. Bartolini will make them in just about any size so they would drop right into the existing holes where the old pickups were.

5. I have already scrapped the P idea...it was just an idle thought.

I've decided that the ifrst thing I should do is to get the thing working properly. Then I will decide.

6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Eddie Macdonald of The Alarm put a P-bass p/u in his Rivoli/EB-2, sounded pretty cool.

7. Where? In the classic P bass position or in the neck position? Or bridge, for that matter.

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    In the regular P-bass position, kept the original HB too. If you can find the video for "The Stand", you'll see it. You can hear the two different pickups' tones on that song too. The P is thru most of the tune while the break has the boomy stock HB dubbed. This was during their early period when the guitarists used amped acoustics, the Rivoli/EB-2(I can remember whether it was an Epi or Gibbie)fit their sound perfectly.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Here's my '60s Gibson EB-2 with factory HB at bridge too, with stereo outs. Don't have any decent shots of my Rivoli.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]