Epiphone Rivoli

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndyBell, Jul 7, 2002.

1. AndyBell

AndyBell Guest

May 23, 2002
    york, england
    Please help...
    I really like epiphone rivoli's. I can't find where i can buy one anywhere though :(
    you've gotta help out here!
  2. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe they are discontinued. I'd get a Jack Casady Epiphone. Good warm, holowbody tone. Or if you really want the humbucker in the neck position, the italia Mondial look interesting.
  3. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If you want a Rivoli, you'll have to look for vintage. They show up regularly on Ebay, or you can scour your local vintage shops.
  4. AndyBell

AndyBell Guest

May 23, 2002
    york, england
    well, i liked the sound of the epiphone rivoli. the guy in black rebel motorcycle club uses one and it sounds great. hard to come by though.
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    IMO, the Jack Casady is a different animal altogether. Not that it's not an excellent axe, (I own one and wouldn't part with it), but it's a might too refined sounding if you're truly looking for the 'Rivoli' vibe... The Rivoli nails that 'short-scale' tubbiness that I just can't seem to coax out of my Casady... An acquired taste, certainly, but essential for some songs.

6. These were the basses of choice in London as the R&B (like the Stones) kicked off. Everyone seemed to want a semi-acoustic bass and Gibson, Framus, Epiphone and Hofner all made them. The Gibsons and Epiphones were made in the same factory at that time so there was no real difference in my opinion - except the Epiphone was considered to be more 'ethnic'. The Rivoli is what John Entwistle used a lot in the eary days of the Who and High Numbers. Quite soon he changed to the Rickenbacker because the Rivoli was too boomy - it was OK for a sort of background rumble of old blues numbers - but not what was needed as the Who moved on to Tamla / Stax numbers as the fashions changed in London at that time. Our bass player had one as well but we stuck with it and I really liked that very subtle bass background this bass gives. I don't think you are ever going to get a real treble sound from this and you have to watch out for feedback (most players of that time filled their guitars with black pieces of cloth; you can't see it under stage lights and it stops most of the feedback) You will still find these around as vitage guitars that shouldn't be too expensive due to the limits on what you can use it for AND there are the Gibson version called EB3's (I think) AND there's the current cheap copy from Epiphone AND there's similar Guild Starfire ££% style out there as well (and some DeArmond copies of those) And if you want to throw serious money at a new version there's the Gretch's (2 types) at about $2500 and they're new. Well the point is they are out there if you look!
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    The Gibson equivalent is the EB-2.

The bass player for The Cure, Simon Gallup, has used one the past 10 years or so. He gets a pretty good non-tubby, with treble sound. Not sure if he's using the stock pickups though (in fact I think his main bass is an EB-2 replica built to replace an old one that was falling apart).
  8. I also thought afterwards that there is the Gibson SG style bass that is also now not made (whatever happened to Gibson's bass marketing?) - but don't ESP make a version now?

The basic sound must be one generated by that big flat humbucker on the Gibsons and Epiphones - it's got to be 2" x 3". The scale length must also be the reason for the tubby sound we've all referred to in some way. I guess it's way those six string Jaguar basses of the 60's never really sounded like a real bass - or why we can't use an ordinary six string guitar with an octaver..... Unless you guys know better and someone out there is doing this as their approach to filling the bass role in a band.
  9. SrLomo

May 3, 2002
    only one little comment:

Simon Gallup, The Cure's bassist is now playing live with a Gibson Thunderbird and a Epi Jack Casady.
    I saw some pictures and a few days ago I could see him "on stage"

I just cannot wait to have my Epi JC in my hands.
    Just 2 or 3 weeks more and it will be mine.