1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone T bird or others?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skipperdisco, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Skipperdisco

Skipperdisco

Mar 22, 2009
    Is an epiphone T bird a good buy? compared to a Jazz bass or a P bass?
    Im looking for a second bass but im not sure what to purchase since fender jacked up there price.

Is there a way to get the best of both worlds?

2. There's tonnes of options in the typical "2nd bass"...
    What's your budget?
    $400?
    If that's the case check out used Fenders, Ibanez's, Trabens, ESP's...

3. adrhouston

adrhouston

Jan 14, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I had a Epi Thunderburd for a while, and while it was a good 'rock bass' that was all it was ever going to be; kind of a one trick pony that way. That being said, it is an ok deal if that's all you're wanting. Just move the strap peg to get rid of the neck dive.

4. Skipperdisco

Skipperdisco

Mar 22, 2009
    I have a budget of 300-500 bucks

5. madgapper

madgapper

Mar 8, 2009
    I bought a 30" scale SG style Epi and reluctantly put my '69 P bass away because of some arthritis problems. The fit and finish on mine is very good....wonerful neck so, after some tweaking, along with some good strings and a Dimarzio pickup it's o.k. but I'm still looking.

6. I have both a MIM Fender P-bass deluxe special (PJ, old baja series, passive) and a Epiphone T-Bird Goth. I love playing both of them.

But my band only likes the P-bass. We play classic 70s hard rock (Deep Purple, Rainbow, Judas Priest). Mostly with only the P pup on.

For a more modern rock sound, I think the Epiphone would be better. But NWOBHM or earlier, that was a lot of times P bass (Iron Maiden, Early Deep Purple, etc)

7. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Epiphone have released a Thunderbird pro series, with through neck and active EQ. Seems pretty neat if you're heading down the TBird route.

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    For 500.00 you can actually get something nicer than an Epi Bird or a Mexican P Bass.

You can buy 5 SXs.:)

9. probert

probert

Feb 25, 2009
    Zürich
    Hi I personaly wouldn't buy the T bird becaus of its lack of versaility, but then again for the music you mentioned the T bird fits IMHO extremly well. There were also enough NWOBHM bands playing a T bass like Pete Way from UFO. Also the T bass seems to be more suited for picks than for fingerstyle (another reason, for me why I wouldn't buy a T bird). And the head diving is also an issue, but can be almost cured by a suede strap plus replacing the pin (at least it worked for my SG bass). I would definitly try it out at a store and compare with some budget Ibanez for example (which in my opinion make great P/J style bass for low budget). I don't know if you get somethin fenderish with 500 bucks except for a squier, which I don't really like (but I know only Squier guitars, not the basses, so I am prob not qualified here). And last but not least: the T bird looks extremely cool ;)

10. madgapper

madgapper

Mar 8, 2009
    P.S. the s.g. copy is really a neck diver that needs the front pin repositioned along with a wide strap.

11. I just picked up an Epi TBird a few months ago. I had some pre-conceptions about TBirds... that are now busted.

The pick ups sound just fine. They are not the best, but they are just fine. I will eventually upgrade, but I am not in a hurry.

You have to tweak your EQ. I play finger style on the Tbird, and I like the tone... but it requires a little tweak of the EQ.. which I am always futzing with anyway.

The neck dive is an issue, but was corrected in ten minutes after I repositioned the strap button.

Versatility wise... I don't think I would choose the TBird to play in a jazz combo... but I think that if you use your EQ and Volume knobs a bit you can really squeeze some nice tones out of a stock EpiBird.

I like my Tbird. It sounds great. It plays well... and it looks cool.

My wife, who admits she is tone deaf, told me she likes the Tbird over my other basses because "it just looks cool".

12. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    The Epi basses I've owned in the past were well-built and sounded good, but suffered from serious neck-dive.

Basses that I wanted, like their viola and their Allen Woody didn't have that issue. I understand their T-Bird Pro series doesn't have the neck dive issues. Plus it looks spiffy.

13. wait,what? :confused:
    they aren't even out yet.
    i heard they don't come out at least until may.

14. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    with your budget you can get a great used Peavey. If you search this forum there is a lot of posts and love for american made peavey's. A millenium, foundation, t-40 (if you can deal with the weight) and the 'G' with a graphite neck.

These seem to always come up when the topic is on great price or being underrated.

15. the epi-pro is definatly out, you can buy them over here in the UK anyway

16. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Chances are hot that I'll never see one in person here in Hawaii.

And I only passed on what I heard about them from industry insiders, no personal experience with them.

17. nice :) they do seem a nice beastie, if they don't have the neck dive problem then more than likely it'll be a purchase soon

18. yeah?thats the funny part,in the UK.
    well they're sure as hell not out here :mad:
    and won't be for a while

19. that is peculiar, usually it's a lot easier for America to get hold of the epiphone and Gibson

20. putsia

putsia

Mar 18, 2009
    300-500? Get a Yamaha bb-414.