1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone T-bird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afroman, Nov 19, 2000.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    hi!

I have owned my Epiphone Thunderbird IV for 2 years, and I really like it. It's not the best bass, or the one with the best electronics, but it's really light and fun to play (and to look at).

I would like anyone that has a t-bird, or has played one, to give me their opinion. I've been trying to find a t-bird review, and I haven't been lucky.

Thanks...

P.D. I payed $360 for it, hardshell case included.

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I had one for a while...and found it to be an overall good bass. My only real cmplaints were the weak pickups...and it was very neck-heavy...which is the main reason I sold it.
    Every once in a while though...I wish I had it back...:)

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've owned a couple of Gibson T-birds - an old Thunderbird II and a '76 RI Thunderbird IV. They are my favorite basses when it comes to sound and tone, but the Gibson's are a workout to play. They are very neck-heavy, and the headstocks are extremely fragile. The Epiphone RI T-birds aren't exactly the same, since they have a bolt-on neck. If you really like the Thunderbird sound, consider what I did, and look for an old Epiphone Embassy bass. Built by the same people, using the exact same electronics, the Embassy is a 35" scale, set-neck bass, but less neck heavy than the Gibson counterpart. Prices right now seem to be low - a really nice one from a vintage dealer can run you over $2000, but there have been a couple on Ebay (usually featuring replaced bridges) that have sold for as low as about $500.
    Regardless of which model you have, they are the coolest looking bass next to the old Ampeg Scroll basses.

4. Ogden

Ogden

Apr 4, 2000
    I love the shape of the T-Bird but i found that it has a bit too much treble (for my liking). Sorted it with a bit of tube distortion to get a Jon Entwistle style growl.

5. i have never had a problem with gibson thunderbirds being neck heavy, maybe its the wide strap i use, or maybe its my belly