Epiphone T-bird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afroman, Nov 19, 2000.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY

I have owned my Epiphone Thunderbird IV for 2 years, and I really like it. It's not the best bass, or the one with the best electronics, but it's really light and fun to play (and to look at).

I would like anyone that has a t-bird, or has played one, to give me their opinion. I've been trying to find a t-bird review, and I haven't been lucky.

P.D. I payed $360 for it, hardshell case included.
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I had one for a while...and found it to be an overall good bass. My only real cmplaints were the weak pickups...and it was very neck-heavy...which is the main reason I sold it.
    Every once in a while though...I wish I had it back...:)
  3. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've owned a couple of Gibson T-birds - an old Thunderbird II and a '76 RI Thunderbird IV. They are my favorite basses when it comes to sound and tone, but the Gibson's are a workout to play. They are very neck-heavy, and the headstocks are extremely fragile. The Epiphone RI T-birds aren't exactly the same, since they have a bolt-on neck. If you really like the Thunderbird sound, consider what I did, and look for an old Epiphone Embassy bass. Built by the same people, using the exact same electronics, the Embassy is a 35" scale, set-neck bass, but less neck heavy than the Gibson counterpart. Prices right now seem to be low - a really nice one from a vintage dealer can run you over $2000, but there have been a couple on Ebay (usually featuring replaced bridges) that have sold for as low as about $500.
    Regardless of which model you have, they are the coolest looking bass next to the old Ampeg Scroll basses.
  4. Ogden

Apr 4, 2000
    I love the shape of the T-Bird but i found that it has a bit too much treble (for my liking). Sorted it with a bit of tube distortion to get a Jon Entwistle style growl.
  5. i have never had a problem with gibson thunderbirds being neck heavy, maybe its the wide strap i use, or maybe its my belly