1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Thunderbird arrived damaged

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfenstolme, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Wolfenstolme

Wolfenstolme

Aug 7, 2019
    Hi all looking for some opinions. here

I ordered a new Epiphone Thunderbird online which arrived this morning with some damage around the neck and headstock, which you can see in the attached photos.

I've already contacted the store about a refund/replacementI but wondering how common a problem this is, and how big of a problem this is.

Cheers

Attached Files:

MCF, Ross W. Lovell and TBird1958 like this.
  2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    It looks like it was dropped or mishandled during shipping. Return it and get another.

3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I'd return it. The cracks that you show on the pictures seem to indicate that the headstock will eventually break in the future.

TinIndian, zon6c-f, MCF and 4 others like this.
  4. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    It's a Gibson design, no surprise to me :) I think you have a good chance for a replacement, good luck!

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    You paid for a brand new defect-free bass, not one with shipping damage and potential problems down the road. Return it for refund or replacement.

Now-a-days, stuff is minimally protected when shipped by a manufacturer or retailer. Rather than incur the cost of redesigning the packaging (along with increased shipping cost due to added size and weight), they use statistics and calculate that it's cheaper not to improve the packaging and just replace the ones that get noticed as damaged and returned.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

That's not typical of Gibsons, and Epis are built the same way. Somebody dropped it on its head. Send it back.

TinIndian, JJR58, zon6c-f and 9 others like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i wouldn't expect a brand new ax to present with those issues = a remedy is in order: you'll need to send it back for that. good luck getting another one in the expected condition! :thumbsup:

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Get an RMA NOW!

9. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Send it back, it's a shame it was so carelessly packed and handled. I would agree that you paid good money what should be a new, damage free bass and should accept nothing less than that. Barring this kind of mistreatment you shouldn't have any issues of this sort with a Thunderbird.

JJR58, mikewalker and Wisebass like this.

10. Somebody dropped me on my head but my parents couldn't send me back.

11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    They took the partial refund and kept you.

12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I though weak headstocks were a Gibson trademark. You will probably be sued if you produce your own instruments with weak headstocks.

Obviously, send it back. And protect the thing when you get it - in a case or a good gig bag that supports the neck, to avoid this in the future.

13. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Never been a problem for me, there's at least ten Thunderbird around my house they've all gone out to shows with my band over the last 15 years. They have their share of dings and wear etc, given nothing more for care than anyone reasonable would for an instrument, there's never been a problem. Not saying you couldn't break one, but any bass can be broken if one is so inclined - or clumsy.

JJR58, MCF, Inky13 and 2 others like this.
  14. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    At least you weren’t dropped on someone else’s head.

mikewalker, dkelley and BadSanta1281 like this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'd take pics of the box/packaging, and present as part of the claim. If you paid with credit card, I'd notify them, too.

JRA, EatS1stBassist and Wisebass like this.
  16. Probably a full refund. Buyer beware!

17. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Tempting fate: I have had Gibson bass guitars for almost 40 years. Plenty of mileage, but no broken headstock. Not yet, anyway. I cannot speak to early '60s Thunderbirds. Recent ones have been fine. I don't hit people with them, so there's that. The EB-2 has been through plenty and has held up fine, too. Those necks are mahogany instead of maple, so there's that.

Katthestar, JJR58 and MCF like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sorry this had to be one of your first threads, but welcome to TB! It'll get better...

... just stay away from the classifieds.

19. Door County Bass

Door County Bass DC EMT 663 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Wisconsin
    When I was born the doctor slapped my mother.

Templar, grinx, Old Blastard and 4 others like this.
  20. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

First, return it and get an undamaged example.

Secondly, its the mail/UPS, it happens.

Third, understand the original design wasn't great. While I have never busted a headstock I have a brace of Firebirds and Thunderbirds that were either given to me or bought pretty cheaply purely because the headstock had broken when the neck took a hit for a variety of reasons.

Just be careful.

JRA, EatS1stBassist and Gaolee like this.