1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Thunderbird: Country of origin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Langley, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *Not trying to start a ruckus as I personally don't care where they are made but I am curious as to where the current production Epiphone basses, especially the Thunderbird are currently being made. I thought it was Korea but I have seen some forum entries stating China. I'm gonna pick one up either way so lets not start bashing either one.

*So much for my GAS free lifestyle!

2. sirspoogesalot

sirspoogesalot

Apr 21, 2008
    London
    I beleive its Korea, cant be 100% sure but its a great bass either way, got to love the deep muddy sound it produces

3. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Looking at mines neck plate. "Hand crafted in China by Ephiphone"

4. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    few years ago think it was korea now its china

only thing worth checking out is testin a few different models, some are super dope occasionally they suck ass

I bought a nice one, tested another one the other day in a shop and it was in a terrible state

unlucky guy that gets that one

5. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation

Sep 14, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Mine is made in China. Plays and sounds excellent!

TBIRD.

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I bought this one in July, the neck plate says: "Hand crafted in Korea by Epiphone. Pretty nice bass for the $$$$, if you like Candy Apple Red it's an absolutely beautiful color on this bass - the pics don't do it justice. As purchased mine looked like this

Full.

I made it into a "Fenderbird" by adding a "J" neck and replaced all the hardware with chrome pieces.

fenderbird2.

7. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I think production spans both China and Korea, though Korea might only be doing some of the special colours I'm not sure, I'm probably wrong :p. I've just seen more recent epi guitars at the store coming from both China and Korea.

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I like the pickguard ... did you buy that or make it yourself?

9. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    mine was "handcrafted in Korea"

10. i just bought a brand new 2nd of some guy on CL and it was made in china, i tried to adjust that bridge cause the action was way high, i didn't do any good, so i took the bridge off and ordered a hipshot super tone to install, i hope that will do the trick

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd assume that the drop in prices coincided with the start of Chinese manufacture.

12. i agree, but it sure is good looking bass

13. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    well this is the first time I see someone had trouble with string height on the 3 point junk bridge--wow.

I can adjust mine so low the strings hit the fretboard...this is a weird one for sure. I wonder if the studs that hold the bridge on the body are pulled out somewhat. ( another very common defect in the cheap EPI's )

For the record, I have no reason to spend money on my EPI-BIRD, but that super tone is an excellent replacement according to many people.

hell why don't you change the pickups while your at it? ( that was kinda meant as sarcasm ) but if you spent let's say 300 on the thing, and now your gonna put 200 more into it between a bridge and new pickups, there are a LOT of much better basses out there for 500 that would do as good or better than an EPI-BIRD in playability right out of the box.

14. the post have non adjustable washers, i lowered it, but it was still super high, i got it for 150 and then spent 93 shipped for a hipshot bridge, if i knew this was going to happen, i would have passed on the bass, why the jab? the bass was not even playable cause the action was so high. i thought the pick ups sounded fine.

15. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    My old Tbird from 2004 was Korean.

16. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    sorry, I re-read the whole thing now, thats just a shame. 150 + 100--isn't that bad. I thought you paid 300 new, and then went and added the hipshot bridge.

the consensus really stems from being "CHEAP", and quality control is always the #1 problem with cheap instruments.

mine was the same way when I got it. I bought it used for 100.00 months ago now, and I have NO CLUE how the guy could play it with the strings a 1/4 inch off the board---I got it so cheap cause I told the guy I was gonna have to invest in another bridge also, and he just said fine, it's yours. I just got lucky I guess that I was able to get it low enough to where it plays fine after I banged the studs back into the body.
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

It will never be my #1 player, but gets used a lot for it's "special" tone.

17. no worries bro, it will be my number one cause i don't play all the time, i go back in forth between bass and guitar, i bought it mainly so i can add bass tracks to my recordings.

can you recommend any other "good" cheapies? SX maybe? I almost pulled the trigger on one but passed because i read a lot of good reviews of the thunderbird bass.

18. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    like 100 other threads titles " what should I buy", I can't tell you that. Just check a few out, and see what fits for you. the other TBIRD basses I have are expensive older rarities, and you won't find them in a store, and those are my #1 and #2.

remember this: no matter what, if you are looking for a 500.00 or less bass, you better try a few to see/feel the differences SX or not. cause I can pretty much guarantee if you see 4 of the same cheapy-bass in a store, none will play the same. ( cheapy-basses :D )

19. Here's my EPI T-Bird. I'm pretty happy with it & use it 50% of the time. Depending on my mood I switch between the T-Bird & my Warlock.

No offense to anyone but I've never really warmed up to the standard Fender style bodies. I owned a Flying V about 20 years ago. Just have a taste for the non-standard.

Attached Files:

20. I have a Korean made one, I like it. My local shops are stocking Chinese ones, and I've noticed a significant weight difference (China=heavier). Don't really know why that is....