Epiphone Thunderbird IV Silverburst??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twdavis13, Sep 4, 2009.

1. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I am thinking of getting this, does anybody have it?? And if so, are the pickups any better and is the tone any different?? Is it any hotter and less muddy?? I figured it would sound MUCH closer to the Gibson as a result of the Mahogany body wood. I don't want the Tbird pro becuase I heard about issues with the pickups etc. I also heard that it still has the neck dive, so I might as well get a standard thunderbird.

[​IMG]

:bag::bag::bag::bag:

JEEZ PEOPLE< C'MON!!!! bump

2. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i just saw one of these on ebay.

there just a epiphone t bird in a special color no difference

3. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    The Silverburst has a different pick up than the "standard" finish as evidenced in this pic of a friend's. Sad to say their output leaves something to be desired, mediocre tone at best.

EpiTBIVSilverburst_07.jpg

And of course here's a standard (tho custom shop color) version for comparison.

Body.jpg

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Oh! Me want silverburst!

5. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I stand corrected:D

6. jmcgliss

jmcgliss

Apr 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Cool...the silverburst (and the carpet) above is mine. Hi friend :)

7. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Hmm...I saw one on eBay with standard hardware too.

8. Lunarfall

Lunarfall

Jul 11, 2009
    Wisconsin
    The Tbird pro is neckthrough, looks better, and doesnt have that crappy bridge.

9. I'd buy the silverburst for the chrome hardware -- then strip the thing down and stain it natural!

10. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Did I mention that I was moving in? :)

11. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    Fenderbird011.jpg

12. The Silverburst, besides the Special Run finish and the Chrome hardware as opposed to the standard Black, also has a Mahogany body which is much closer to the Mahogany wings on the Gibson T-Bird's N/T design than the Alder on the standard Epiphone Thunderbird (the Goth Version also has a Mahogany body as well).

To be fair, I haven't heard "wondrous" things about the standard Epi T-Bird pickups, and I'm a big fan of the Silverburst finish, so I'd keep my eyes open for a set of replacement pickups (I know Bartolini makes a set, not sure about Basslines, perhaps Carey Nordstrand would be up for taking on a new "project") and replace the stock bridge with the greatly-improved Hipshot bridge.

13. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    They're more or less standard Epi TBirds. They look rad, but aren't as nice as the disappointing TBird Pro or the relatively legendary Gibby.

14. jmcgliss

jmcgliss

Apr 30, 2007
    Chicago
    It's a good start with the mahogany body and chrome hardware, plus the silverburst has some provenance. It plays better than stock since I filed the nut and lowered the bridge, so it's a keeper until I figure out pickup options that will fit inside the pickup rings.

15. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    I've changed the bridge since the picture and may think about pups next year. So far, so good, to me. Mahogany is the main reason I ended up with the Silverburst, but it has since grown on me.

16. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    bump

17. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    SOMEONE!!!!

18. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Does anyone know what the nut width is on the SIlverburst? I thought I had read that the Goth & The Nikki Epi's (both Mahogany) had a 1.5 nut, which was narrower than the standard Epi T-bird. Any ideas on the Silverburst?

19. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    GAS!

Silverburst = awesome :D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021