Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoggyTrousers, Mar 4, 2002.

1. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    Hey folks. im sitting back and wondering..i need some opinions for my next possible purchase. wich is the epiphone thunderbird. (i know..it looks...eh..but it grew on me) ill most likely be playing some heavy funky slap on this thang like Timmy from Rage. so post away! Flames..opinions..go on, go on..

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've never played an Epiphone T-bird, but I have a Gibson T-bird and I can tell you it is not a good bass to slap on. Just my opinion, but I can't slap on one, and the strings are too close to the body to get my fingers under to pop. The Epiphone may be different though, since it is constructed differently. My advice would be to try to find one in a music store where you can try it first.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Slap, No
    Pick, Yes
    Fingers, Eh...sure but a pick would sound better.

4. neenishtart

neenishtart

Feb 14, 2002
    Australia
    I think T-birds look damn sexy! I'm getting one as my next bass for sure (the way the bank account looks at the moment it could be 2004 - I bought a Rick last nite!!) , but I don't slap at all...so maybe that's why I love em. They're just big old dumb rock basses to me...and that's why I want one.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    They are great rock basses, I basically learned to play on one. If they weren't so neck heavy they would be the perfect rock bass...

6. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    Well forget my dreams of being the only kid on the block who slaps on a t-bird. this will seem awfully broad..but does anyone have any suggestions for something that will suit my needs for ..around 400. (Note: i do NOT like fenders)

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    For $400 you absolutely will not get a better slap tone than a Fender J-Bass. If you don't like Fenders look for J-Bass clones (but none will be as good). Peavey makes a decent little Jazz Bass clone.

I know you wrote that you don't like Fenders but this is the straight poop.:)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Phil knows what he is talking about. The only stock basses that have better slap tone than the Jazz(or a Jazz copy) are the Musicman Stingray and the Warwick Thumb. IMHO, of course.;)