Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Thunderbird (Non-Reverse)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ladders, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Ladders

Ladders

Oct 24, 2005
    U.K.
    I can't decide whther or not to buy a bass I've seen.

As I've already stated in the title; it's an Epiphone Thunderbird, the old non-reverse style.

I just wanted to ask, is it worth getting one? are they any good? does anyone here have one?

Thanks in advance.

2. fielden

fielden

Oct 15, 2005
    Can someone post pics showing the differences between a reverse and a non-reverse?
    thanks guys

3. Ladders

Ladders

Oct 24, 2005
    U.K.
    The modern reverse Epiphone Thunderbird:
    [​IMG]

The old non-reverse Epiphone Thunderbird:
    [​IMG]

(the one I'm considering has the same finish and pickups)

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  5. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
  6. I had one. Great bass, but bear in mind it is a Tbird in appearance only, it's got PJ pickups. I really liked the sound of it, it's sadly in bits now :bawl:

Try and hear 'Revolt' by 3 Colours Red, Pete Vuckovic played one on that record I believe.

7. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    I have one. The jazz pickup is okay a little sub par so i may switch it out. and the p is great but i changed it to a dimarzio spit p for that one humbucker in the p spot that the old gibsons had.

The neck is really nice, and the body is too but it is a rather heavy bass. I wrote a review on it in the gear reviews section of talkbass. Its my main bass and ive owned many "better" brand name basses. check it out.

by the ay mine is in the nastiest seafoam green but i really want a sunburst one as well.

8. Ladders

Ladders

Oct 24, 2005
    U.K.
    Since there are people who have experience with them, I have a few questions:

Is the neck thin (like a J-bass) or thick (like a P-bass)?
    How bad is it for neckdiving?

BTW, I like heavy basses.

9. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Thick like a p-bass...well it is for me anyway. Mine is really lighter then my other basses. Neck seems to me longer than a p-bass as well. But while sitting I have a hard time around the 1st five frets.....As far as neck diving. I put this over at the pit...just ignore the ugly Mug in the third pic
    Neck Dive Solved.

10. Ladders

Ladders

Oct 24, 2005
    U.K.
    Sorry to revive and old thread, but I just wanted to say that I got it.

Should be delivered some time in the next two weeks.

I'll try and get photos up.