Epiphone thunderbird or yamaha rbx374

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Nov 27, 2005.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    the rbx is about 190 gbp and the thunderbird is 230 gbp.

I could get the rbx 5string for about the same price as the thunderbird. Ive heard good things about both of them but im stuck choosing, OR i could save up and get something better. Ive seen people play the thunderbird (shavo) but he had the gibson one i think. ive never seen a band use a rbx374, well not on tv atleast.

Im play Rock/metal, maybe a bit of funk and slapping.

which bass is better?
  2. After just trying an Epiphone Thunderbird yesterday I am advising against buying it. The body shape was very uncomfortable and the tone equalled the equivalent to a mud pie hitting a wall.
  3. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    It is uncomfortable if your sitting, but have to disagree with the sound..The epi. thunderbird if in the right hands is a beast. It can thump and growl like a Mother (well you know). but IMO not the best for funk, and slap.

I have never played the Yamaha but the RXB basses look pretty sweet.

This is just one of those play both and see which one is best for you kind of deals.

sorry I can't be more help.
  4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    The Epi, for me. I've never played a Yamaha I liked (with the exception of the Attitude and some of the BBs).

I disagree with you, MrDuncan- an Epi T-bird, like FenderHotRod said, can be a really growly ROCK bass.
  5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    No doubt this is true..... but the build quality will be *far* higher for the Yamaha.... the Epis I've owned have been miles behind the Yamahas in that regard....
  6. *Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    I say RBX347, i have one and it owns! Mind you the yam is active pickups which is better imo and the thunderbird is passive. You can get a very nice growl tone out of the yam, i take it along with me to band practise and it never failed on me! :)
  7. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I own an epi t-bird. I've had it for a year and I'm still discovering sounds out of her. You can get a growl by turning the neck pickup down to 2 or 3 and the bridge pickup on 10. Or even a Jack Bruce type or sound with the right amount of tweaking. And its made so much better than my MIM p-bass.
    I dont do any slapping or tapping however.
    I love it
  8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I like the looks of both basses, but I'm partial to Thunderbirds. I have played both of the basses that you're asking about. Both sounded great to me for that price range. The only complaint I really have about either one was the fret ends on the Yamaha's (every one that I've played in that model # regardless of what store I tried them out in) where sharp and needed filing. I've played other Yamaha's in this price range that had no sharp frets at all and played great. At the same time, I've played various Epi's that had Q.C. issues also.

If I were out to get a Yamaha, I'd try to get the RBX774 or 775. You can find pretty good deals on them and they seem to sound better and they have 35" scale necks. All of those that I tried played great, sounded great, and didn't have any fret problems.

The only downside to me with the T-Birds is the neck-dive issue. If you move the stap button to the back, it becomes pretty much a non-issue.

Hope you find one of either that suits you.
  9. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I dont know why its even an issue, it takes five minutes to screw a new hole in the neck and move the peg.

This bass is gold man, gold.
  10. Well... I'm opposed to Epiphone instruments personally because they really are not built very solid. I had an SG that had bad pots, and an input jack that really would never sit still... it actually even caved in, IIRC.

However, having not played that particular model Yammy, I cannot give you a word on if it is some how better than my experience with Epiphone instruments. I will say this though: The T-bird definitely has the aesthetic. The tone is subjective and like said above, if your hands can make some interesting sounds, then you're set.
  11. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    thanks for all the replies guys, i need to find a shop that stocks these basses to try them out. for buying is ebay a good place to buy basses?