1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone Thunderbird.. some questions..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I thought of the Thunderbird for a while, and the sound and looks seem nice, but i keep hearing about the neckdive wich i saw could be solved. but then i also heard that its very long or something and very hard to reach the top 5 frets (wich i use most) if you dont have long arms, is this true? cos im only 1m65cm tall and my arms arent very long (im 15 soon)

2. you can get the fret but that involves putting your thumb in front of the neck..

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    So should i stay away from it if im not tall?

4. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    hey,

arent you the guy from the esp f 104 thread? :)
    i would say: they rock! the neck dive is really huge yeah..but you learn to play with that. you can move a strapbutton to fix it. its explained on this website:
    http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/

or you can use a wide leather strap that doesnt slide too much.. that also helps alot.

if i compare it to my pbass it seems idd a little longer but that just due the shape of the thunderbird. the distance for your arm to reach the first frets is the same i think. try if you can find one to try.. i love it:)

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Yeh, im not really to worried about the neckdive, rather that i wont be able to reach my favourite frets:) But theres to many choices seriously and to little cash aswell, just as you said, very hard to choose, but ive got to stick to my Squier for a while anyway till i get some cash:) Also, i dropped the F cos, the only reason i really was drawn to it was cos the looks:/ The thunderbird looks even better and i hear good stuff about the sound, but not sure if its to hard to raech good on the neck:/

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    From one swede to another, i just bought an Epiphone Thunderbird and i love it alot! I too feelt that it was hard to reach the first frets but after some playing it now feels okey. I haven't had any serious neckdive, i have a wide strap and that helps alot.

7. You can't just "learn to play with neckdive" and get over it. Sure, you can mess with adjusting the strap or getting a wider strap, but the bottom line is that the dive is going to aggravate your fretting hand until you somehow adjust the instrument's balance. As the owner of a Hamer Standard- which is a very faithful Explorer shape- I can attest to this.

I'm moving my strap buttons around soon to avoid this.

As for your fretting question, I'd say that you could always wear it very, very low. It could help your reach.

If you're not absolutely dying to get that specific shape, why not look elsewhere for a bass that has good looks, a decent price, and won't make your arm tire? :confused:

8. I am a big T-bird fan if you couldn't tell from the username. I also own a firebird which kicks tail as well. I wouldn't be concerned about the neck dive. Just relocate the strap button and your fine. I wouldn't be to concerned about the frets issue either although i have long arms and big hands...

9. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Hm, ok i give up, choosng bass is impossible hah, damn ill have to try them all out:7 no choice:/