Epiphone Thunderbird - yea or neh

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trotskyismyniec, Jun 23, 2004.

1. trotskyismyniec

Jun 23, 2004
    My mom hated my long hair so much that she bribed me to get it cut by saying shed buy me a new bass. Well, my bass is a P.O.S. so i obliged. Now, ive played all the basses i want to buy but i can never make up my mind. so i thought maybe the fine folk on teh talkbass.com forum could help me out w00t. NOW, ive had a Fernandes J-bass copy that sucks really bad and the pickups are wired bad and i dont wanna go through the trouble of getting new pickups cuz it sucks. SO ive played a few basses and the one that really stands out is the Epiphone Thunderbird IV Reverse bass. a local epi dealer sells them for 30 bux cheaper than musiciansfriend and what not. I played it and i liked it and it put out some serious growly low end. The only problem is is that its not very ergonomicaly designed and the neck dives. I dont know if thats gonna be a huge problem cuz i dont play standing up a whole lot and im i could get used to it. Do u think that its worth it or is there a better bass out there for that price (330 bux)
  2. Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004

i didn't like the bass. Found it to muddy.

I say go w/ whatever your heart desires man.
  3. Yeah,I heard it's quite teh mud.

Plus,where the strap button is(At the neck heel) its quite uncomfortable also.
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Personally, I'd give it a miss.

I had (in my guitar playing days) an Epiphone Firebird that was fine when played sitting, but I couldn't get on with it standing due to the neck dive. I got rid of it, and it's one of the very few instruments I've parted with that I don't regret losing at all.
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    <a href="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/">Simple Thunderbird Neck Dive Fix</a>
  6. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    There are MUCH better basses for $330.00

check out www.rondomusic.com

The Brice basses are good...I've owned one (Douglas 5) and can vouch for it. I've never owned an Essex but hear nothing but good about it here at Talkbass. Do a search...there is a HUGE Essex megathread here detailing everything you'd want to know.
  7. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    As a balding 45 year old with 20+ basses I'd say keep the hair!
  8. No way man.

Never cut the mop.

I'm learning that the hard way.
  9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Thunderbirds sound really, really muddy. I think you would be much happier with a Warwick if your mother would dish out the money for one. I'd even go with a Warwick RockBass over an Epiphone Thunderbird.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hair is irrelevant, & is more about the perception of OTHERS... Do what YOU want, & f everyone else... But, I've never been a t-bird fan, I saw a guy over at reranch did a GREAT job on his custom t-bird.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I always found Thunderbirds to be pretty uncomfortable to play sitting.

Other than that, the T-Bird should work fine, especially if grindy rock is what you want to play. Enjoy it!
  12. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Trotsky, have you tried the made in Korea Spectors? They have great bang for the buck IMHO.
  13. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Cut it! snip snip..
    Im suprised how much 1)more respect i get 2) easier first impressions 3) people quickly assume Im a serious and dedicated student 4) cops dont harrass me

Could be just me though.

Oh and check out this blowout

rbx blowout
  14. trotskyismyniec

Jun 23, 2004
    i didnt really have a choice, my moms been saying that shed get me a bass for awhile but i wasnt sure if i should trust her. I probably shouldnt have cuz she asked me to go to dairy queen but she took me to a barber shop instead and i look like i just enlisted in the marines. all the girls i know r soo disappointed, im pissed. But n e ways she kept up her end of the deal and took me for a bass today. Yea i didnt go for the T-bird, the heavy neck, and the fact that the headstock is so huge that id have to get a 80 dollar case for it, sry not for a made in korea epi, so i went to guitar center
    and all that i could really afford was an Epi EB-3 too punchy, an OLP MM, it just didnt click for me, and a Fender Standard P-bass, i went for the P-bass since i have a hard time saying no to a Fender, and it had the best neck and sound
  15. trotskyismyniec

Jun 23, 2004
    btw, i play mostly punk, ska, and a lot of classic rock ala Zeppelin, so i doubt it woulda fit in, i wanted a J-bass just like JPJ, but it was too expensive, the p-bass is a punk classic n e ways
  16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Good choice. You can never go wrong with a P bass! :bassist:
  17. For $330, I'd get a used P bass and hot rod it with active EMG's.
  18. devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    Well a little custom work could fix the neck dive problem, and the sound being to muddy, well not if you know the function of the two tone knobs. Ive had a Tbird for like 2 years and I love it, though a Gibson model would be much better , a Epi is not bad. Plus it looks sexy

If you find the neck and sound not too your liking , you should check out the non reverse model, it has P bass type pickups and smooth play through the neck.
  19. Good choice man, P-Basses are cool. Pics needed.
  20. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Dude - that is awesome - if that's you in those pics, then you have an illustrious career in infomercials just waiting for you!

Seriously, a funny-photoed documentation of how to fix exactly the thing that made me sell my Blackbird. Now that I've seen that, I may one day get another one.

However, this only works with the bolt-on variation. Neckthrus can't get any better than button-on-heel.