Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim The Monkey, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Tim The Monkey

Tim The Monkey

Mar 25, 2001
    :confused: Does anyone have any views,suggestions,etc on Epiphone Thunderbirds? I'm buying one as a second bass, and i need your views!!!! also, does anyone know which strings are supplied with it? Are they Gibson Strings...I dunno.

2. i tried one that was in my local music store and loved it, it's got all the sound i wanted (plenty of punch but still able to be jazzy), but i didn't like the balancing on it and it was quite heavy.

you can get basses that have the same sound quality as the thunderbird at around the same price range that are also lighter and better balanced, so it really dependson how much you want that look :)

3. I had an Epi T-bird(non-reverse) for awhile. The tone was great, but the bass was very uncomfortable to play, espically standing. Horrrible neck dive. I dont' like to have to hold up my insturment while playing it. Also, the neck was attached to the end of the body resulting in a very long scale. I guess it's not for everybody, so jsut try it and see if ya like it.

4. not a fan of that bass

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I was very interested in the Thunderbird at one time. I played around with one at my local guitar supermarket, but didn't buy it. It felt good to my hands, that's for sure. Nikki Sixx has his own Thunderbird Signature model, so they must be good! ;)