Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morty25, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Im thinking of buying an epiphone thunderbird, but i never played one. i was wondering could anyone tell me if there any good? :confused:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Never played one either, but I know that Tunderbirds are VERY neck-heavy.

3. i heard the same, they are not verry well balanced, watch a live vid of system of a down and you'll see, from the moment shavo releases the neck of his T-bird, it drops down!

4. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    get one they are nice forget about the neck dive all you have to do is relocate the strap button by the neck not hard **** what anyone else thinks do what you want for yourself. im true to my words though go spend that ****ing money on a thunderbird please!

5. I can add a point about the Gibson 60's Tbirds, reverse and non- they have a skinny little neck at the nut, and with the big angled headstock and the wood cut out for the trussrod channel, the headstock will snap off if you glare at it hard enough. They don't handle onstage collisions or other hard use well.I don't know if this applies to the Epiphone neck also, so ignore this if it doesn't pertain. That said, I LOVE the sound of these for rock, and if that sound is what you're after, the rest of this means nothing- go get one! btw, the three Gibson's I've had were all neck heavy regardless of strap button placement. Again, the current Epi's may differ.

6. Some posts just seem to ooze inteligence, this is not one of them.

LamarKafka likes this.
  7. That's right, I get to see a lot of broken epiphone headstocks due to how they are constructed. It's not that hard to put back, but they are never the same instrument...

:scowl:

8. The Gibson and Epiphone necks of today are thicker, with smaller headstocks than the old Gibson ones and I've NEVER heard of one snapping.

And all the headstock replacement stories I have heard, have been positive as the necks are always repaired stronger and people preferred the basses after the repair was done.

I wish peopel wouldn't take what they read from one person and repost it as there own. I see it a lot here, not saying it's bad, one should make note that they read it somewhere.

And Thunderbirds are not heavy, neck heavey, balh, balh, blah... it's all ********.

They have no top horn, so the balance is off. However, most people have never tried them with a strap and jsut go by what people say, most people exaggerate how much the neck falls. With the strap button on the stock position on the Epiphone does dive a bit, but it is tolerable. Putting it behind the neck is an easy fix and does wonders.

On the Gibson's, with the button behind the neck, they balance fine. The Gibsons and Epiphones have smaller headstocks and tuners to help with this because they learned the lesson from the old Tbirds.

This has now been discussed 8,958,058,025,8954,802,858,420.85894 times.

9. jbs

jbs

Jan 30, 2006
    Richmond, MI
    I tried out a stock Epiphone T-bird at the local GC, and found the pickups to be flat. Too bad, because I love the design. So I spent $50.00 less and got the Epiphone Viola for something different. As far as the balance this goes, I had no problem with it; seemed OK.

10. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    i have the gothic series epi t-bird. mmmm lovely. nice tone for rock and i can also get a lovely warm tone. looks the biz too. i stuck some rotosound black nylons on recently, makes for a thumpy thick sound, adds a nice different tone to that of my, now, main axe, a spector legend 5.

11. Well, in my case, this is a first hand info. I've been doing the luthier" stuff for some time, it gives me extra money, but I don't fix things like those. It is just what I've seen, and my truth. Gibson, from my experience, has a REALLY bad quality, and it increases the problem when you see those awful prices... That all said IMHO.

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have two '76 Gibson Thunderbirds, one with a neck repair and one without. You can't tell any difference between the two by sound or feel. From my experience they are the same instrument as before if the repair is done well. If you go to the Gibson forum over at the Dudepit you will find lots of people with Tbirds with repaired necks that have no problems with them. They are still great basses.

The Tbird in my avatar has a repaired neck break. The picture was taken on a gig. It is still very gig-worthy.

13. Hi, morty25.

Glad to see someone is willing to take a turn to somethin different than the safe and IMO dull F-road ;) .

Yes, there are some issues, mainly the frequently mentioned neck dive that's easily fixed and the Epi QC that is IMO as good/as bad as with any other manufacturer in that price range.

I'd worry (I know I did) about getting a case or a gig bag for Thunderbird, that can be a tough one, specially when one compares the prices.

I suggest that You try one out before buying, they feel quite different than Your P-bass. Also it's never a bad idea to play the exact bass You're buying regardless of the manufacturer.

BTW a repaired headstock IMO affects only the resale value of the instrument (~25%), nothing else and yes, I've repaired several, mostly Gibson guitars.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

14. Baxatax

Baxatax

Jun 29, 2007
    The Epi Thunderbird neck dives maybe a little more than any other bass. I was worried too before I went and tried it out. A wide leather strap may be sufficient to fix the neck dive. I chose the Thunderbird over a used P-bass because of the tone, its a raunchy growl, which is awesome. The playability is not as good as a Fender, which is what I plan on buying next. One word of wisdom, closely inspect a T-Bird before buying. The first one I looked at had a messed up bridge. And the one I ended up buying has nearly stripped screws in the pickups.

15. Magi003

Magi003

Oct 2, 2014
    Just gon leave this right here...

David cintron - Blog

It's my new blog, and includes a gear review of my Epi bird. I'd be stoked to hear feedback.

16. Lo-Hz

Lo-Hz Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV Pro... Almost identical construction to the Gibson T-Bird, with USA Gibson pups. You can get one used for about the same price as a new Epi bolt-on T-Bird...

Just sayin'.