1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Latanza Heist, Feb 22, 2013.

1. I'm looking for thoughts on the latest Epiphone Thunderbird.

I can get it for £199 new. Is it worth it. I'd probably replace the pups if they are bad.

2. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    Which Epi Thunderbird? Their latest one I played was their 7 ply neck through with Gibson USA passive pups. That was a nice bass as is. It was so new to the store, they did not even have a price on it yet, but that was several weeks ago.

Sepp

3. Epiphone Thunderbird 4

4. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    OK, bolt on neck. Meh, not impressed. The Classic 4 Pro is what I was playing. Neck through, Gibson USA pups, a much better instrument, by far. $600 price tag.

Sepp

5. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    I,ve got a pro4 active bass and have played the classic pro4.
    Both good basses and the bolt on one doesn,t even come close I,m afraid.
    Be better saving up and getting a pro4 one-active or passive.

6. Hi.

Hardly the latest, more like the oldest :).

Not a bad bass for the price (even better for that price You quoted), but considering the "improved" offerings from Epiphone for not much more, I can't see any reason why someone would buy one new.

Unless You're willing to spend the same amount for the PU's (though the originals aren't bad at all IMHO) as you paid for the bass, there just isn't much alternatives.
    At least if You want the PU to fill the cavity ;).

Mine was my main player for quite some time and no problems.

If You really want the BO standard, I'd buy used, that should shave half off the price.

Regards
    Sam