Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Thunderbirds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flexo, Jun 27, 2005.

1. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hey,

Just wondering what the epi thunderbirds are like? I know that according to the reviews, they neck dive a lot. What do they sound like? Could i get a nice growl from them? How's the quality of them too? Also is the bridge decent, cos it doesn't look upgradable? And finally, are the defferences between the goth and standard versions just cosmetic or is one better than the other?

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    All the Epi T-bird I've played have been great. I got a good growl from them but they also have their warm side which some confuse with muddiness. I don't know about the bridge though. the goth is only cosmetically different.

3. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Just look at mine. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19608

IMO they are great basses for the money.

yep...They do, but buy putting a strap botton at the top screw of the neck plate and a good leather strap will take care of that.

Hand Crafted in Korea. Inspeced in the US. I thought about changing pickups. but the more I play mine the more I dig them.

The bridge is fine I have no problems with mine.

I don't know never played the Goth I would like to get one of those too. Just so I could trick it out.

oh yeah about growl. When I turn my neck pickup down about to 4 or 5 and the bridge full on. I can get sort of a nice James Lamenzo of the Pride and Glory days growl.

4. 69Vette

69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    The Goth is listed as having a mahogany body and a maple neck, while the regular production Epiphone 'bird is listed as having an alder body and mahogany neck. I'm not sure if the mahogany is the so called African mahogany, but I don't think it's Honduran.

I have a goth body but I've never used it (too many projects). The Goth sounds like it would be a good poor man's Fenderbird right out of the box.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

6. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    The music123 description lists both as alder but i think the epi website says the goth is mahogany. What the differences in tone be? Also can anyone verify this? Has anyone compared the two versions?

7. Spanky2112

Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    Great bass..I've had mine for about 6 months and I totally dig it. Like that other guy saud..move the strap butoon. I did that about a month ago and it is good to go.

8. Well, if it means anything (and in this case it may not) it means the bass is shipped stateside, is scrutinized for QC, and gets a proper setup. I wouldn't call that a joke. I'd call that another set of eyes on the instrument, potentially with more knowledge of how to judge the bass as a whole.

I know Lakland does final inspection on their skylines.

I think any import-model line off an American brand should do this.

I'm not defending Epiphone, just defending the process you refer to as a joke...tho I'm unsure if it's disdain against Epi, or against the process.

Mon

9. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I was looking at the epiphone website and I noticed that as part of their "guitar of the month" promotion theyre releasing an Epi thunderbird in Alpine White. That's making me lean a lot more to getting a standard version rather than a gothic!

Thanks for the replys, are there any more good/bad reports?

10. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Eh, I would save up for a Gibson if I were you. I've had only bad experiences with Epiphone.

11. Saving up for a Gibson is quite a price stretch! But I'm sure you'd be happier with the butterball turkey than the supermarket brand as well.

I think the Gibby's go for around $1100(US)

~Ryan

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Sorry Mon. Korea is the largest manufacturer of musical instruments in the world. Are you suggesting American has more skill at tightening screws and strings?

It's marketing, that's all it is.

13. Stondis

Stondis

Feb 12, 2005
    England
    I have one and I think it is a decent axe. Not "amazing" but it was good value for money and certainly looks great if that is important to you!
    Neck dive is a bugger between songs, I should really get that button moved and the neck is a little chunky but it certainly SOUNDS monstruous! (sp?) :hyper:

14. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    The body on the standard is alder with a maple center block- And definately move the locks, thats what I did and it makes a huge difference...

15. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Mr. Sixx from the Motley Crue uses a t-bird, dunno if it's gibson or epiphone though, I think he's got a sig model.

16. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I have an Epi T-bird and I wont ever let it go. I dont know what everyone talks about I think its pretty versatile, even for Jazz. Get it, get it, get it.
    Dont settle for a Fender.

17. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Most of those guitars are sold in America. Here in America whenever something says it's 'made in the usa' or 'inspected in the usa' or whatever a certain expectation of quality is applied to the product. It's certainly not a new or innovative marketing strategy.

I don't think anyone is saying Americans are better than Koreans at inspecting guitars. I promise we really aren't that dumb. :smug:

18. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Yep...Nikki has a Gibson Sig. I dosn't have a Vol. or Tone knob. It is either on or off.

19. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    +1

20. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

You would think that the quality of the guitar, the construction, fit, quality of finish, components etc would be enough to sell a product. Epiphone, like other companies, recognize that the American marketplace prefers to buy American. How they satisfy that element when they're manufacturing off shore?

These factories are under contract to build something under defined spec. Finishes, components, tolerances, etc. They are inspected before they leave the factory. Why do they advertise "inspected in the USA"? Because the US marketplace views it as a seal of quality. It tells them it meets their standard of quality. If it passes the critical eye, it must be good. Correct? But, wouldn't you think that the quality would have been built into it before stateside inspectors apply their velvet glove? These are completed instruments. They're done being made. Their finished. What additional tweaking is going change them significantly besides a setup?

I'm not suggesting anyone is dumb, especially in the USA and particularly on July4th.

Enjoy the day.