Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Upright Basses Revisited

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BillyB, Nov 30, 2004.

1. BillyB

BillyB

Mar 15, 2004
    NE Georgia
    undefined
    I have just read some earlier post on the Epiphone Uprights and wondering if some of you Epi Experts can clarify on model and makes. I just bought a B5, dark finish with gold tuners. Beautiful scrolling on the tuner plates with the following inscription: "Made by Epiphone Inc. Kalamzoo, Mich, Model B5". I am assuming, from reading previous posts, that this instrument was made after Gibson purchased Epiphone. There is no S/N on end of fingerboard. No inside label, but the following is written in pencil inside: "B-5-5-1 E25107-R5
    444-Br924". Don't know if tailpiece is original, but it's plain black ebony with no logos or anything. The only other info I could find, there is the number "444" stamped on the bottom of bass between top edge and where end pin comes out. (stamped with die stamp into wood)

Thanks for reading and any help you can give. Love the sound of the bass and can't wait to get it set up by Robin Smith in Nashville.

bb

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    The B-5 was the top o' the line, and yes, yours would be one of the later models based on the K-zoo reference. As far as I've seen, all Epis - or at least every B-4 and B-5 I've come across - had the Epi badge on the tailpiece, which also indicated model. They were sometimes found on nice, natural-finished birdseye maple tailpieces (usually on the blonde B-5s), but I've seen darker TPs that look like rosewood or ebony as well. Perhaps the omission of the badge came with the Gibson transition? On the other end of the bass, some Epis had an extra turn to the scroll as well. Sorry, I can't really shed any light on the serial number... Regardless, sounds like you've got a nice find on your hands. Post pics if you get around to it!

3. Ditto

4. BillyB

BillyB

Mar 15, 2004
    NE Georgia
    Thanks for info Brent. I appreciate it. BTW, I'm looking for an old Epiphone Tail piece if anyone has one for sale. One with the Epi logo.
    thanks,
    billy