Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Upright, Wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjazz1958, Apr 3, 2004.

1. kjazz1958

kjazz1958

Mar 22, 2004
    I recently acquired a top-of-the-line Epiphone B-5 string bass. This thing blows me away! I have 3 other uprights, but the Epiphone, which is from the 40's or 50's, strikes me as much nicer than the Kay's and other basses most often seen in this league. I have not been able to find out much about it, except for the Gruhn book and Vintage Guitar Guide listing. It has a nice flame back/sides, rosewood fingerboard, flamey tailpiece with "epiphone" metal plate, engraved tuners, and a black inlay around the back. It has an amazing resonance for a laminated bass, especially with a new set of Thomastik's. Does anyone know about these basses?

2. my friend Dale (plays for the Cluster Pluckers) has an old Epi upright and I LOVE that thing...it plays like butter!

if you don't mind me askin, what did the 5 string set ya back because I'm wanting to get one.

3. kjazz1958

kjazz1958

Mar 22, 2004
    Clarification: Even thought the model is "B-5" (engraved on the tuner plates), it is a 4-string bass. I do not think Epiphone (made in NY!) made a 5... I may end up selling this bass, unless I decide to keep it and sell one of my others.

4. ok cool stuff...either way Epiphone upright basses are GREAT! I've never heard one bowed, but for a straight up bluegrass bass (which is what I'd mostly use it for) they rock!!!

5. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Wow is right ... i asked about these a year or so ago and didnt get much response.. I have a B4 ive had about 25 years or so and i just love it to death..use it mostly for bluegrass... most people who see it never realized Epiphone even made uprights.. id like to find out when mine was made and what its worth ( i payed 150 for it) but never came up with much info about them.

6. I think my friend Dale's is a 1929 blonde...man that thing is saaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeettttttt!!!

if you wanna make a 50 dollar profit I'll give ya 200 for yours ;)