1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

epiphone Valve jr for apartment mini rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JTreehorn, Mar 23, 2010.

1. JTreehorn

JTreehorn

Jun 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I'm in the process of trading/selling stuff, with the intention of getting a second smaller amp to play in my apartment, while leaving my big rig at my practice space. I was going to look into getting a combo again....however I was thinking instead of maybe picking up an epiphone valve pro junior head and running it into my ampeg 410 for now (maybe trading down to a 2x10) for some lower volume stuff -also thinking I might be able to coax some tube drive out of it. I've read on here that a few people have done this....any more people w/ experience? Not looking to gig out w/ it, but it could potentially be used for recording as well.

Also, seeing that probably wont get too much bass out of it, anyone ever run a bass EQ pedal in front of it? Thanks!

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    In my opinion, any amp in an apartment will be a problem for people below or above.

I own my own house and still prefer to practice with headphones. Less irritating to my wife and others, and honestly, I feel I get more feedback as to what I'm really playing. More revealing.

3. This is exactly what I do.

I have the 3 channel programmable Sansamp bass driver and run it into the Valve Jr. Any bass cabinet will work.

It will have plenty of volume for practice, and by pushing the preamp you can get plenty of grunge and distortion. And if it has too much dirt, I presume you could change the 12ax7 for a 12at7, though I have not done this.

Do not expect to get a hi-fi clean sound at volume with the 12ax7. If you don't mind some grit, it'll work great.

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Yeah, I have one and it's fun but it gets dirty real fast.

5. sounds great for plunking at home. I use mine everyday. Plain, it gives a good idea of what your bass sounds like.

6. Get the Roland Micro Cube Bass RX. Great amp.
    But I have to admit that my Epi Junior is actually quite fun.

7. JTreehorn

JTreehorn

Jun 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Cool - sounds like it would be up my alley - especially the fact that it will give me some dirt. What cabs are you guys running it with, out of curiosity?

8. I use mine with a Jensen 12" that was intended for AV duty, in the late 50's.
    It also works well with regular bass cabs. Not a ton of volume of course.
    I was testing a speaker cab I rebuilt a little while ago and it got pretty dam loud with my ipod running into it. My roomate thought it was somebodies hopped up car audio system.

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I have an old Genz-Benz 1x15 cab that I use it with.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020