1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Viola pickup help!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hmm..username.?, Mar 20, 2009.

1. hmm..username.?

hmm..username.?

Jan 31, 2009
    Agh!!!
    so i picked up my epiphone viola bass yesterday and started doing some fine tuning on my amp, equalizer, etc because my guitarist is returning from college in chicago. I plugged in and made sure all of my settings were correct, and when i cranked the volume, I discovered a horrible buzzing/hissing noise. This only happens with the equalizer on, but doesn't happen with my other basses and guitars. Is this the pickups? Is this the equalizer? Is this a problem with using the equalizer and these pickups together??? Its a relatively cheap bass guitar, but I am in love with the way it sounds and it practically plays itself. The equalizer is a necessity for this guitar because without it I get a horrible amount of low end boom.

Where is my problem??? If its the pickups which pickups should i be looking in to for both fit and sound? again, its a relatively cheap guitar and I am pretty sure modifying the space for the pickups would cause more problems then it's worth-

Thanks very much, you guys are the best!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What equalizer are you using?

3. I've been having a similar noise problem with my Viola, though I'm not using an EQ (occasionally a chorus or dist pedal, but usually nothing) From what I've been reading its a common problem, but I can't seem to find a fix, if there is one. Is anyone else experiencing noisy humbuckers in their Epi Viola?