Epiphone Viola SS = fun...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Apr 23, 2018.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Guest

Mar 24, 2006
    I went to my local GC today to see if anything new came in...nope same ‘ol stuff as last month.
    So I decided to pick up a bass that I never thought I’d pick up...the Epi Viola SS. Why? For one, I never seemed to like the tone of any kind of “Beatle bass” I have ever heard. 2nd, I was never really a fan of short-scale basses.
    So I plug this thing into a Trace Elf and an Ampeg 1x15 expecting what I believe it sounds like. I was actually surprised at how good it sounded, and even more surprised that it was SS. I had tons of fun playing it for about an hour. (But why do people keep coming up to me asking how long I’ve been playing...???)
    Every Beatle Bass I have ever heard, sounded dull and lifeless...but not this one. Maybe I just never heard one played by me before...
    The position of the neck pickup sort of bothered me, but I worked around it. It also seemed to not be able to hold a precise tuning long enough....maybe it just needed a workout.
    I then tried another SS, the Fender Mustang PJ, and it was another surprise. Sounded even better and it felt more like home.
    Then I tried an Ibanez Mikro... and hated it.
    The Mikro felt like I was trying to play a miniature replica of a bass...perhaps the Mikro is just a little too small for me...
    But I have been converted and am seriously considering a Squier Jag SS when they finally start making them again...

fermata likes this.
  2. fermata

fermata Guest

Nov 10, 2015
    I've really enjoyed the Epi Violas I've tried. They're well made and sound great.