1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Viola - Tone and volume controls

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shortyedwards, Jul 24, 2008.

1. shortyedwards

shortyedwards

Jul 24, 2008
    Greetings,
    New bass player, and just last night put flatwounds on my Epi Viola bass. Thrilling to get that sound.

Anyhow, as this is a used bass (and new to me) I was playing around with the tone and volume knobs trying to dial in a good tone. I find that the tone knob has very little, if any, effect on the tone. And that turning both volume knobs all the way down doesn't seem to shut down the volume totally. No problem, but it just has me wondering if this is wired properly and if I should have it looked at.

So any Viola users out there have any experience with these issues? Or are they not issues at all for this bass.

Thanks for any help at all!

*just read the sticky, perhaps I posted in the wrong forum, sorry.

Doug

2. shortyedwards

shortyedwards

Jul 24, 2008
    bump

3. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    It sounds like there is a grounding issue with the electronics. If the tone controls don't work, it could be because the grounds have gotten disconnected from control, so the cap isn't shunting the highs.

Same issue with the volume controls. If they are not turning off all the way, the grounds are disconnected, and you are just getting the resistance of the pot in series with the output, so it's lower, but not off.

It's very likely that all the pots connect to the same ground, and it has gotten disconnected somehow. I'm surprised the bass doesn't have a loud hum!

Luckily the controls are all on that plate, so it's easy to take a look and see. if you don't know about wiring find a reputable repair person to take it too. It will probably be something very obvious, like a broken wire hanging there.

4. shortyedwards

shortyedwards

Jul 24, 2008
    Thanks David - Yeah I opened up that control plate and didn't see anything obvious to me, but that's not saying much. I guess I'll take it to someone to have a look see.

5. shortyedwards

shortyedwards

Jul 24, 2008
    Anyone know of anyone local to the Syracuse,NY area who is good in this area - wiring and such?

Doug

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021