Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Is an Epiphone bass good? Mine looks like the guy's guitar from AC/DC. It sound good to me but Im not sure if its that good.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Epiphones get slagged by people who haven't really spent any time with them but they are decent basses for the price.

Like all low priced Korean made basses, the weak point is the electronics, although some of the Epis that I have played in stores sound good with the stock pickups.

But like most Korean stuff, the build quality is pretty good and you get what you pay for.

I own an Epiphone Les Paul Studio guitar(heresy!;)) and while it's not quite as nice as a USA made Gibson Les Paul Studio, it was only $299 instead of $2000 and IMHO it sounds as good as the real thing.
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I've tried the Epiphone SG Bass.. It was Neck-Heavy, which means that the neck is very heavy and just falls down and the body comes up and you have to keep the neck up with the left arm while fretting the bass.. I didn't really like it, and its kinda hard to play. If they made a SG Bass that was more body heavy and light neck, i would love to own one ^_^. But then again this is all personal preference, go out there and play one and if you like it, go for it :)

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Allow me to throw in an additional question: If I have understood it right, Gibson took over Epiphone some (many?) years ago. If this is correct, is there a big difference between pre- and post-Gibson Epiphone products in general?

By the way, I am very pleased with my Epi Sheraton guitar...
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    While we're on the subject, is it pronounced Epi-phone, or more like Epiphany?
  6. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Just checked the Epi history section on their home page (should have done that first of all, of course...). Pretty complex, product quality obviously varied a lot over the years. No easy answer to my original question I guess.
  7. I played an Epiphone Explorer once. It sounded pretty cool and looked bitchin on me. I think it fits me well. The neck was a bit large but I could get used to it.
  8. nubassplayer

Mar 26, 2001
    I have the epiphone gibson sg bass. I'm a new player, but I really like it. The only thing I don't like is that its a short scale bass. I think its 30''.
  9. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've owned two Epiphone basses and have another on the way. The fretless EBM5 I owned for a couple years was very well made and had a good B string; the pickups were the only notable weakness, but not so much that they would need immediate replacement.

I recently got one of the 6 string Expert basses which is very similar to the EBM series but are neck-through with swamp ash wings. It's also quite nice; I've drilled the E and B strings for through body mounting (which I did on the EBM above), and it's really quite a decent bass for the bucks. I understand they were a limited edition prototype or something.

I played a 5 string SG in a music store and was underwhelmed, but that may have also been due to the awful Gibson strings (assuming) on it. If I had judged the 5 string by the strings on it I would have sent it back- the B string especially sucked.

I have a 5 string Les Paul on its way from samash.com -- they are clearing them out supercheap for $219, so I'm taking a chance - it has far too many features to be that low. Here's hoping.

Bottom line - give Epi a chance; they are some of the better Korean basses I've seen, but I'm sure they vary in quality like any other.

And if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. I have many basses to select from, including custom made ones, but it doesn't stop me from taking my inexpensive Dean Rhapsody HB out on gigs.

Try other basses at stores or with friends to broaden your experience, but if your Epi does the job and makes you happy, it IS good! Looks and names don't matter, music is about sound, not brand names or physical beauty.
  10. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    As others have pointed out,quality can vary on these from one to the next.A GOOD Epi is VERY good especialy since most models are relativly inexpensive.Ive got the Casady and its GREAT!!!Take your time sifting thru the ones you like and im sure youll find one of good quality.Good luck!
  11. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    i've always wanted to try the Casady one. I've never liked the Tbird bodies, its like.. when u sit down and play.. how do you play it? lol just like those Flying Vs.. how do u play them while sitting down? cuz they just keep falling down :)
  12. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I just got an Epi Jack Casady Signature. It's a great bass! I own several basses, including some high-end and custom ones....the Casady is my new #1.....it really is THAT good! Now, I cannot vouch for the quality of all Epi basses, but this one is a dream. One of the smoothest and truest tones I have ever experienced!
    the overall quality is above average, too. Great neck, smooth finish and better than avg.fretwork . I have heard that Epi quality varies bass to bass ( and I did have a student who had a terrible Epi Les Paul Bass....) but this one is damn fine!
    and I am not ashamed at all to flaunt this "Epiphone" bass......the tone is unreal!
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I like the EB-0 best... my opinion. Try all of 'em out.
    EB-0 gets lots of clicking if you don't cut back the highs all the way (for me) but when you do, it gets this really milky sound. (milky's the best word I could think of) They have a huge sound. I really need to get one and stop telling other people to... hahaha ;)
  14. I've had my eye on the Epiphone Thunderbird Reverse IV, but I haven't tried it yet.
  15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It really depends on what model. Epiphone was making a lot of guitars before Gibson took them over, so a lot of their guitars (not basses) are their own original designs, and are pretty top notch. Once Gibson took them onboard, Epiphone also began producing foreign made and bargain versions of standard Gibson designs. So there are Epiphone design guitars and basses (guitars like the Sheraton, etc., and I think the Ripper was designed pre-Gibson) and then those brought on by Gibson (The SG, Thunderbird, etc.).
  16. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Bob, thanks for this heads-up! I ordered mine just now, vintage sunburst. Killer price.
  17. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Mine just showed up UPS. Pretty darn nice for the bucks -- I'll be glad to get those crummy Gibson strings off it and to intonate it (majorly out of tune), but I'm impressed with the workmanship and it sounds pretty decent, nice variety of sounds based on switch positions -- for $219!

BTW, no booklet comes with it to describe the switch settings... this review may give a clue:

18. Bob G, I'm the one that told you Samash was selling them for $219.00 and that they didn't have any in the store so I couldn't try one out. That was at the Queens, N.Y. Store. The other day I went into the Manhattan store, and there they were. I tried one, and it's a pretty nice bass. I didn't buy one because I tried about seven other basses and an Ibanez BTB 505 kind of caught my ear; what a murderous B string! I also tried a Spector, forgot the model # but it was $ 1,499.00 What an instrument!

Anyway, to stick to the topic, Epiphone is Gibson's
    budget line, but don't any of you sell them short. Mostly everything they make is of very good quality, but The Casady is in a class by itself.Any ad
    you've seen or post you've read is all true. This is a top notch bass with a tone that you really have to hear first hand to appreciate. Those of us that own Casadys understand this; those that haven't even heard one can't begin to imagine what they sound like. It's made by Epiphone. O.K. I'll admit that they must have decided that they were going to do this one right from the get go, they did. I know it's hard, but everyone should judge each bass by each manufacturer separately. There's alot of sleeper stuff out there that will surprise you.

I have to go now, my friend Epi is on the phone.

Mike J.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Ripper is an original Gibson design from the 1970's.
  20. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    BTW, I appreciate the steer, Mike! Bob