1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zachoff, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Took a quick lunch break and went to the music shop. They had a lot of new Epiphones in and I played all of them.

Overall, I'm super impressed. I was a long-time Epiphone hater until I played the Jack Casady when it came out (also played it today). Awesome bass. Anyway, the basses I played today all shared great build quality, fit and finish, and playability.

So I played the Allen Woody, Les Paul Special, and EB-3...

Allen Woody - Don't love short scale basses, but it was fun. The pickup being angled toward the neck is strange & I'm not sure what it did to the tone, but it sounded "woody" :lol: Really though, it did. Ha. I think the price was $469. Not a great deal, IMO... I'd rather have a couple other shortys before this one.

Les Paul Special - Flat black finish made for an awesomely smooth neck. I didn't love the tone, but I think with a new set of 'buckers it could be an awesome bass. One minor thing is the 'buckers look huge on the body. Maybe it's just an optical illusion.

EB-3 - They had a black one and a cherry stain one. The black one is awesome. Love the full black with chrome look & it definitely put off the fat thud one would expect from an EB-3. If you like that tone, it's definitely a good substitute for the Gibson. I didn't plug in the cherry, but it played just the same as the black one. Also at $299 an awesome bass if you're looking for a Gibson substitute of the EB-3.

So, I'm slowly turning into a fan of Epiphone. They've really turned things around over the last 10 or so years.

2. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have purchased 3 new epiphone basses in the past 4 months! I totally agree with you! Epiphone quality is super on their higher end models! I have the el capitan acoustic, Thunderbird pro 4 and the shortscale viola. Im very happy with epiphone, in fact i played the gibson thunderbird side by side with the epiphone,no contest.

3. The Explorer and Flying V basses are fantastic as well. Good luck finding a case for the explorer, though