1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphones in transit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bredian, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Sooooo.... I've been bidding on EBMs, Explorers and Thunderbirds occasionally depending on color, price and pup configuration when while pulling up to rehearsal, an EBM shows up in my smart phone for $199.95 "buy it now" and it looks relatively intact.... well after committing later that night I looked and my smart phone was color blind..... it was powder blue.... kind of leisure suit era color..... its arrived and feels good, is larger than the photos give it credit for. Have seen red bodies for sale, but unsure of my plans. Active pups, precision/jazz set, but I haven't plugged it in yet. Reading the electronics are weak. Pretty heavy feeling bridge. Its output and play-ability will determine its future.

The second acquisition was after a tribute band request a few days later..... gonna have to get showy. The Explorer apparently has Epi TB plus humbuckers, but they look passive... we'll see. The white is perfect.

Have discussed a little with EMG as they have TBird pups.

The main gig is an 80s 3 piece + female singer (plus music 1969-present), and the tribute is a subset of that music., but with 6-7 peeps.

My goals.... some bling for the band, some cut through clear piano string sounding tone IF I WANT, and of course, playabilility..... my main player has been a Fender Precision Lyte (active) Spector C5 (just sold) and have a couple of Ibanez of my son's to goof with. If I stacked up a few $2K basses for a gig, not sure anyone would notice.

Attached Files:

• EBM1.
      EBM1.jpg
      File size:
      186.9 KB
      Views:
    • ep1.JPG
      ep1.JPG
      File size:
      37.5 KB
      Views:
  2. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I really like the Explorer, not so much the powder blue. But the main thing is how they feel, play and sound!!

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I really dig the EBM (beautiful and rare... in that configuration)

The Explorer sports the worst (or least resonant) Epiphone soapbars

It's not that they're bad, it's just that Gibson's on Thunderbird Classic (passive) and Epi's on Thunderbird Pro (active) are way
    better than those.

The EBM is awesome: I wouldn't mind keepin' it, unless it's defective:)

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    I probably owe some comments on this thread from a year ago. The powder blue EBM is right now my main playing bass. I gutted the electronics and replaced with an PJx set from EMG and added their active BTS control system. Nice narrow neck like my Precision with the jazz neck. I added tangerine neon strings that are fairly light weight. Its fun, fairly light, and a very wanted sound.

My back up is still my Fender Precision Lyte.

The Explorer is still love/hate. Beautiful, but awkward. Great sound, passive, but the wide neck and the combo makes it a little tiring to play during gigs.

Have another black EBM, strung with neon white... still has old electronics and pups, so its a little dead compared to the rest, but waiting for a little love. Thinking of the big fat Delanos for a Stingray sound.

All ahve been to a good tech and set up guy, but the black one needs to return before I sink any big dollars into to make sure we can get it intonated and the buzz doesn't translate through the gear.

I love the "bling" these bring to the rock band. I could spend more but might be bored. The Korean manufacture of these did a nice job on the necks and hardware, but not the electronics.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! Was totally going to recommend trying the PJX's based on your posts...then I saw this was an updated zombie thread ;) Glad they're working out for you on the EBM. Wild looking bass.

6. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Here's a good clip and video showing the current look.... ... of course the sound doesn't do it justice. I did get the PJx on your advice, and plenty happy with the BTS system.