1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EPL fans

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Apr 22, 2009.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    OK, admittedly, I'm new at this soccer/football fan thing. I've only been watching games regularly this season, and I watched them infrequently before. For some reason this season, I really got into it and have been watching pretty much every game available here in the US. Of course, here, the broadcasts are usually Man Utd. or Chelsea, but I think I've seen every EPL team at least once, and most of them more than once. I watch all the Arsenal games that aren't broadcast live here on the internet.

This is an honest question. Is there any team in the EPL that "dives" more than Chelsea? It seems they ALWAYS have a player flopping to the ground needlessly trying to draw a free kick and a yellow card on someone. It seemed especially heinous against Arsenal in the FA Cup Semi. They appear to me almost as bad as the Colorado "Divealanche" were in the 90's in the NHL.

Am I wrong?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That seems about right. One of my best friends is a soccer player, a diver, etc. Fitting that he's a Chelsea fan.

I watch, but I'm still only just learning the sport as well.

3. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    That can't be right. Cristiano Ronaldo plays for ManUre.

4. Unfortunately for me, Fox Soccer thinks the only sides Americans care about are Man U and Chelsea, so I rarely get to see the team that I actually support (Liverpool), thus making it hard to really keep up with the EPL.

Cheese, where are you watching games on the internet?

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i thought this was a emerson lake and palmer thread..

6. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    That or Stoke vs. Hull when my Spurs are playing Arsenal.:scowl:

7. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Other than Drogba, Anelka, Malouda, and Lampard, I've never felt Chelsea were worse than any others....:D

As has been pointed out C Ronoldo hits the floor fairly regularly, and Rooney is not above dirtying his kit for the cause. Gerrarrd at Liverpool has pretty good resume of plowing earth as well.

Arsenal, with Henry and Pires, used to put on quite the springboard performance in their day.

But for the me, the all time champs are in the Italian League. Despite the obvious talents of the players, they spend more time hitting the lawn and begging for a call than anywhere outside of Mexico. Really ruins the pacing of the game for me.

8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    JK...you are right there! Fox Soccer also shows a lot of Serie A games, and they DEFINITELY dive in that league.

9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    JR...I watch Arsenal at www.goonerstreams.com.

There is a little chat window, and if the video there isn't working, someone will post another link where video is available.

10. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I have the Setanta package (extra $12 a month). They have had more and better games this year than FSC. FSC really covers the globe however, and I appreciate their coverage of MLS, WPS, USL, NCAA and all the south of Texas leagues and cups. I also get GOL, which has Spain and Germany.

I also have my personal laptop on my desk at work, connected to an external wireless. With TVU, Sopcast, TVants and Justin, no fabulolus matchup is missed globe wide.

We really have it pretty good in the US for watching footy.

11. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I REALLY wish I could get Sentanta on my cable package, but it's only available here on satelite. I'm pretty sure the gooner streams is just a link to Justin TV. I've hit TVU, Sopcast, and TVants when Justin wasn't up.