Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epoxy coated fingerboard experiences?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 43apples, May 30, 2005.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey guys, i did a search, but i didn't find my questions answered. Mods, feel free to delete this if you think this question is too clichè :).

Anyway. Do anyone have experiences with Epoxy coating on fingerboards? I'm curious since i'm thinking about get my Ibanez' fretless coated, i'm a bit dissapointed in the tone of the rosewood board (too thumpy), and also i'm starting to get serious roundwound wear :( .

So, to those who have tried an epoxied bass, or even own one, here's my questions:

1. What do you think of the epoxy coating in general?
    2. How did the tone in the bass change after the coating?
    3. How do a epoxy coated bass compare tonally and feelwise to an Ebony fingerboard?
    4. How long do the Epoxy last! That's an important factor to me.

Thanks alot, i appreciate it!
    -Erlend

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    *bump*

:)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I really like epoxy coatings but can't tell a before/after story because I infact haven't played one before and after. I love the sound of rounds on a fretless and currently my bass is unepoxied and has a great sound. I've played epoxied basses as well, and they tend to be brighter and a greater midrange. Epoxy fingerboards last a long time as well, certainly a worthy uprgrade.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks!

Well, how does an Epoxy coated board sound compared to a ebony board? And what do you mean by "a long time", do you think it'll last a couple of years with normal use?

Thanks again,
    -Erlend

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not sure about comparing ebony to an epoxied board as I've never played an ebony fretless board.

As far as lifespan, I'd say at least 5-10 years with nickels and normal playing. That stuff is HARD!

6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Ok, again i must say that i appreciate your replies! :)

Yikes! If a quality epoxy coating lasts 5-10 years, then i'll definately do it! I'm sending my bass to HG Thor as soon as i get the chance! :hyper:

7. Synthia

Synthia

Jun 8, 2003
    Philippines
    Have you ever tried doing an expoxy coating on your board by your self? Im thinkin about doing it on mine because i cant send it to anyone (i live in the philippines) to coat it for me. thank you very much!