Epoxy coating the Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by elm3r, Nov 21, 2000.

  1. elm3r

    elm3r Guest

    Hello all.
    I have a question for you guys:

    I'm currently using a '96 Mexican J-bass Fretless with GHS Bass Boomers .45-105's, and would like to know how to go about coating the fingerboard with epoxy properly (A la Jaco), just to save the fingerboard from the round wounds. I'm not too sure on how to do this, but I definately want to do it myself.

    Techniques? Materials? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Did you post this at another site? Epoxy is really touchy stuff and if you are not familiar with it do not try it cause if you screw up you are really screwed. I have used Polyurethane in the past with very good results. You will need masking tape, paint thinner, brush and a water based Polyurethane. Several applications of paint thinner to remove as much oil as possible so the finish will adhere. tape off the fingerboard and apply the polyurethane allow it to dry for a day or so, ruff it up and reapply finish. I ususlly go for at least 6 coats and reapply as needed. If you really are set on Epoxy then do several test runs on scrap wood before you attempt your neck and if you don't get it right you will have to replace it because epoxy dosen't remove at all well.
  3. I didnt have good results with the polyeurothane myself.
    I went to a marine store and got epoxy and buffing compound. Its like glass, it worked great. I had never done this before. So I practiced on a piece of wood. It is easy to apply. I did about 10 coats. (letting each coat dry, of course). Then I sanded and buffed it. You will need; epoxy,
    epoxy activator, brushes, sand paper, and buffing compound.
    Total cost on all materials was around $70. It was worth it.
  4. Bass Cadet

    Bass Cadet

    Jul 7, 2000
    Three responses, three different materials!

    I used The Flecto Company's Varathane Diamond Finish(tm) on a couple of fretless basses (MIJ Fender Jazz and a Washburn AB-20 that I defretted). I originally thought of using epoxy but decided it was too much effort. Same with polyurethane. Then I found this Varathane stuff and thought it was easy enough. It's water based, so easy cleanup. Pedulla also has something they call DiamondKote(tm) on its fretless basses; I've always wondered if this is what they use.

    I used satin finish on the Jazz bass and glossy on the Washburn. I think I put on about 5-6 coats with light sanding using 400-600 grit sandpaper between coats.

    I still use flatwounds on my fretless basses, mainly for the sound.