1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

epoxy fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bsane, Jan 5, 2012.

1. bsane

bsane

Feb 21, 2011
    Hi!I have a jazz bass fretless and i want to make the fingerboard epoxy coated.
    How its better to apply the coat,with brush or airgun??
    should be sanding with radiusblock after all that??
    Also,which epoxy do you proposed??

thanks
    Ane

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    In the US we use System 3 epoxy and West System epoxy. Marine epoxies are what to look for in your area, as I am guessing you are not in the USA. I use a brush to apply, a torch to release the air bubbles, and wetsand to finish.
    shoppics006-1.

3. Can you explain this torch part? Sounds interesting as I have been contemplating doing an entire body in epoxy.

lowsound

4. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Yeah, System 3 reccommends waving a propane torch flame(15 minutes after it is applied) about 6" above the freshly laid epoxy to help the pin bubbles escape. As a general rule, about 95% go away, but a few will stay on the surface. With proper wetsanding, these also go away leaving a nice glassy flat surface. Pretty much it.

5. bsane

bsane

Feb 21, 2011
    the radius of the fingerboard???

6. Okay, I have never used System 3. Have you ever thought of doing a body with epoxy?

lowsound

7. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    I use epoxy as a filler, not as a finish, but I believe if you have the patience to do all of the sanding, You should have a great finish, but beware that if you sand through layers of epoxy you will get really bad witness lines. Because I sand agressively it's too easy for me to do this, so I avoid it....LOL

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Epoxy makes for a very nice looking finish, but its a royal pain in the rear. Its messy and takes overnight to set up. I used it for a body once, you have to do the front and back of the body at different times because you have to lay it flat, and the sides are a nightmare.

In the future I will only use it for fingerboards on fretless basses

9. bsane

bsane

Feb 21, 2011
    i should sanding with radius block the fingerboerd after epoxy???
    The relief of the neck should be flat???

10. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    for flattening the epoxy, a radius block will work well, but once you get to 1000 grit wet, you should use a medium foam block to conform to the shape, but making it less agressive, all the way to 2000.

Yes the neck should be flat if you are using a wood or composite radius block, as it will make it easier to keep the finish sanding even.

11. bsane

bsane

Feb 21, 2011
    You mean the coat spoil the shape of the fingerboard aND should i re-radiused??
    the epoxy coat affect the setup??

12. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    LOL....no. The epoxy, when dry is NOT perfectly smooth, and the radius block will help to smooth the epoxy while maintaining the radius of the fingerboard.

Yes the epoxy CAN effect the setup if you do not properly surface and level the FB once the epoxy is smooth.

Epoxy is not easy, there is a lot of work and some luthier knowledge that is necessary to do an epoxy job properly.

There is a tutorial in the stickys at the top of the page here.

13. bsane

bsane

Feb 21, 2011
    Thanks for your help....and sorry for my English...
    My problem is to setup the bass aafter this process.
    Can you send me the tutorial?