1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epoxy & flatwounds... opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wateroftyne, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Hi all!

I have a fretless '71 Precision with a beautiful rosewood board, that I'd like to preserve if possible.

It records great with flats (La Bellas) on it, bit it can get lost in the melee during a gig. (Bear in mind that don't want to be Jaco - I'm looking for an URBy growl).

I tried a few types of halfwounds, but I wasn't impressed.

I'm currently using DR Sunbeams which are almost there, BUT... they're still chewing my board and, although they have a nice growl, they're also a bit 'roundwoundy' even though they're quite well worn in.

If I had the board epoxied, would the flats gain a substantial amount of growl and clarity?

I'm aware of the irony of epoxying a board to protect it, and then stringing it with flats! ;)

Thanks!

2. The flats should be easy enough on your fingerboard that you shouldn't need epoxy/polyester. I'd kinda suggest Rob Allen's version of LaBella tapewounds if you're shooting for an upright vibe, too. The fingerboard coating would add some extra brightness to the overall tone, which seems to not be your objective.

3. Cheers, Spade

I've been using flats, but they don't quite have the 'poke' live. I was wondering wether the hardness of the epoxy would help that along without the zing of flats.

4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have a rosewood fingerboard on one of my Jazzes currently, and love the warmth - had epoxy on a previous - cut through the mix LOTS better, but not as warm.

5. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Email HG Thor and check his work on his website http://www.woodwiz.com/epoxy/ . Tell him Jody Jordan recommended him. :) My fretless neck is on it's way to him to be coated. He claims to make the hardest coating out there, harder than Jaco's or Pedulla's. Either way it definitely brings out the beauty in the wood!! And, supposedly roundwounds WON'T chew it up.

I personally just can't get into the NON-coated sound, since playing a Pedulla at G Center. I want the mwaah but I need the roundwound growl and bite. HG Thor can give you both.