Epoxy Fretboard Finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Primate, May 21, 2005.

1. Primate

May 16, 2005
    I was wondering if someone could give me a specific name of an epoxy that as a fretboard finish, would protect it from roundwound strings. I have been recommened Petite's Poly Poxy which is what Jaco used but it turns out that the only place you can find it is on a dusty shelf in the back of some old sailboat store somewhere in Florida. If anyone could recommend me anything,(particulary readily availible in the U.S.) that would be awesome.

Also, how many coats of it would be good?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I use to use regular slow set, 2-part, marine grade epoxy in a single coat. What ever the local paint shop had (I live 15minutes from the Atlantic).

I found it clouded between coats.

keep in mind I'm just a guy that has restored a few pieces of furniture for fun and painted houses as a day job for a couple years that plays bass..... that and I've only done it to cheap defretted clunkers.
  3. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I'm also interested in epoxying my fb. Hopefully somebody will be able to recommend a good product.

4. I've tried both 'famous' brands used for bass fretless coating. System Three and West System. I like System Three better. Just follow instructions on the cans for mixing and cure time. I like to sand between coats with 220 and put at least 3-5 coats. This is because epoxy takes long to cure and dust particles set on it hardening. You have to sand these level and you need to get a considerable build up to do that.Your Fretless will growl like a mad dog!
  5. Primate

May 16, 2005
    im looking at System Three's site, I'm not sure which one to pick, which one did you use?
  6. Clear Coat or Mirror Coat are what you should be looking for.
  7. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i like system 3 also.

another ive used ( not for fretboards, but for something similar were there would be lots of wear ) is a brand called restore-it clear wood epoxy. Bit more expensive, but works well.