1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

epoxy fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 00soul, Jan 25, 2005.

1. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    who here has a fretless with a epoxy coating on the fretboard? how well does epoxy hold up to roundwound strings? are we talking months or years before a re-coating of epoxy?

2. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Well, it's not epoxy, but FWIW, I just finished a Warmoth/Frankenbass fretless a few months ago and had a polyester finish put on the fingerboard (by Pat Wilkins). I've been playing it a lot (roundwounds), with even some slapping, and it's got only some very minor scratches on it that you can see in the light but not feel. I hear the polyester should last many bass moons, and I'm curious to see how it holds up.

I've never tried an epoxy-coated fingerboard, so now I'm curious if it differs from polyester.

3. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    dear mate
    i defretted my old epiphone and coated the rosewood board with epoxy ( since this is an experimental project of me, i used those handy epoxy which people use to pour laminate the embossed artwork-those easy type of epoxy) the result was good.

I use round wound, the epoxy hold it pretty well, bending the string occasionally, it leave no serious marks on the board after a year of playing. Of course i am just a beginning fretless player, which i was told to slide along the neck instead of crazy bending or slapping alot... so i will say under normal play the epoxy will do its job. :bag: