Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

epoxy fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 00soul, Jan 25, 2005.

1. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    who here has a fretless with a epoxy coating on the fretboard? how well does epoxy hold up to roundwound strings? are we talking months or years before a re-coating of epoxy?

2. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Well, it's not epoxy, but FWIW, I just finished a Warmoth/Frankenbass fretless a few months ago and had a polyester finish put on the fingerboard (by Pat Wilkins). I've been playing it a lot (roundwounds), with even some slapping, and it's got only some very minor scratches on it that you can see in the light but not feel. I hear the polyester should last many bass moons, and I'm curious to see how it holds up.

I've never tried an epoxy-coated fingerboard, so now I'm curious if it differs from polyester.

3. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    dear mate
    i defretted my old epiphone and coated the rosewood board with epoxy ( since this is an experimental project of me, i used those handy epoxy which people use to pour laminate the embossed artwork-those easy type of epoxy) the result was good.

I use round wound, the epoxy hold it pretty well, bending the string occasionally, it leave no serious marks on the board after a year of playing. Of course i am just a beginning fretless player, which i was told to slide along the neck instead of crazy bending or slapping alot... so i will say under normal play the epoxy will do its job. :bag: