Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epoxy question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Volk, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Should I sand the fretboard flat before applying epoxy so that it'll sit evenly or is epoxy generally viscous enough to stay even?

Also, any other tips or tricks on applying epoxy would be appreciated

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Epoxy's some pretty viscous stuff, you should be ok.
    You want to get a thin, even coat over the whole surface conforming to the FB radius you already have. Sanding it flat would mean you have to create the radius out of epoxy. Not fun.

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Short answer no. But what kind of epoxy are you using. I hope its not the stuff in the 2 tubes you mix together. I use system three mirror coat epoxy, which is not super viscous. When you apply the epoxy just make sure you have a uniform ammount of the whole fretboard. Epoxy is self leveling, so in time, the epoxy will either build up a bit around the edges, or drip over a bit. Im in the works of an epoxy tutorial right now actually.

4. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I got the system 3 clear coat, mirror coat was supposed to be bar top pourable and I thought it would just slide off the edges. Yes, it's in two tubes, and I've heard it's gotta be mixed hella well for it to work well.

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Clear Coat is ok too. I meant the stuff in 2 tubes as in 2 tubes attached together and they have a plunger that squirts out the stuff kinda like a syringe.