Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epoxy shedding off

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Aaron, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I recently put epoxy on my fingerboard, but i'm running into a problem: the expoxy is coming off. The strings are tearing it off. I know it is expoxy coming off, and not the wood. Should i put polyurethane on it?

2. Do you have round-wound or Tape_wound strings on you neck? If you've got rounds, rip-em off and replace's em with flatwounds. If you've got flat on it, just keep putting that exopy on, cause it's gonna keep coming off. I suggest a high grade marine epoxy.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    For some people, the sound of roundwounds on a fretless fingerboard is the sound... If that's the case with you PoT, (and I'm guessing that it is from your username), then be sure you are using a top quality marine resin and have applied it properly. Below is a link to a quick FAQ that should get you up and running...

http://epoxyproducts.com/25points4u.html

It relates to using epoxy on marine applications, but hey, that's what you're after!

Good Luck

-robert

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I had that happen once with a very old Aria fingerboard. I couldn't get it "dry" enough for the epoxy to stick; the epoxy would peel off in short strips and bubbles would appear underneath.

In that case, I ended up gluing a new fingerboard on (not a very big deal). You may have other options.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I had the epoxy come off an ebony board. I had much better luck with a rosewood board, which makes sense, because rosewood is open-grained. The epoxy seemed to actually soak into the wood, whereas on the ebony it just sat on top and never bonded.

6. The board most likely still had oil residue which had soaked into the wood. This is proper maintenance for unfinished fretboards, however oil will not allow anything to stick to it. The fretboard should of been thoroughly chemically stripped before application of any coating is to bond with the surface. Then a light sanding to give the surface some "tooth" to help the coating grab on.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    A. I used marine epoxy
    B. I used acetone to "chemically strip" it. I heard that was suppose to work.
    C. I did light sanding between coats (1000 grit)
    D. I put on ten coats
    E. I did sand the neck down before i put epoxy on.
    F. The Epoxy did stick.

I'm too lazy to use epoxy again, so should i use polyurethane instead? I really liked the tone of the coated board, though, :(.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If the Epoxy stuck, then why did it come off? Something isn't right, here.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    That is what i've been trying to say. The strings are tearing into it like it isn't coated, even though it is marine epoxy.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Either the epoxy didn't stick, or it didn't cure(dry) fully between coats.

11. Sounds like there might be a problem with the mixture of catalyst and hardener. It is possible to have what appears to be the right ratio of the two but there is just little enough hardener to completely do the job. If anything, I like to err on the side of just a bit MORE hardener to assure a solid result. This cuts down on working time a little bit but I've always gotten good results.

It also sounds like you've done all the correct steps regarding fretboard prep and the like. Do them again when you decide which course to take.

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    so should i just sand it down a bit, and then put epoxy or polyurethane (i think i prefere to use polyurethane this time, epoxy was a hassle.) So is the hardener the non-resin one? Only the resin one is labeled for mine.