Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

epoxy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Jan 1, 2002.

1. what kind of epoxy is the best on a ebony fretless.

2. You are wasting your time puttin epoxy on an ebony neck. Ebony is a very oily wood as well as very close grained and hard. Finishing one is a case of simply polishing the surface to a shine. It would be next to impossible to get anything to stick that would be an improvement over the wood itself. That's why it's used as the fingerboard wood on nearly every classical instrument worth the bread to buy. An ebony neck, even played with roundwounds, will need a freshening every couple of years. There isn't an epoxy around that would work on ebony that could last any longer.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    what about rosewood, would epoxy stick good to that kind of neck? Also where would would purchase good epoxy for a fretless?

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I agree with Hambone. I tried putting epoxy on an ebony fingerboard twice, and it wouldn't take. I did get it to stick for a little while, but it ruined the tone. I used rounds on an ebony fretless and it did wear some little grooves in the neck, especially the G string, but that was from slapping, I think. We were playing 150 gigs a year then and it took a couple of years before I redressed the board. I would leave ebony in its natural, and wonderful, state.

5. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I have a custom made fretless with an ebony neck. I got worried that my neck was being trashed by my rounds, and I play a little too hard sometimes, so I had epoxy put on it.

It stuck no problem. Had it on for about a year and got sick of the way it accented my string clanking. So I removed it and remembered how good my bass did sound, I'll never do it agian.

Just refinish the neck every 3 or so years. If you need a new fingerboard, put it on, better than sacrificing tone IMO.

Scott.

6. like that guy said how about on a rosewood fretboard.

7. You can successfully coat a rosewood board with epoxy but expect some fairly radical tone changes. For the worse or better is anyone's guess.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have done it on two rosewood fretboards with good results. I don't remember the brand name but it was self-leveling marine epoxy. I got it from Lowes.

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've done a rosewood board before and it worked out nicely.
    I used Petit's PolyPoxy (the same stuff Jaco used), but I did it about 18 years ago, there may be some better stuff available now (not that the Petit's wasn't adequate).
    Good Luck!

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Epoxi on ebony?
    Someone is opting to waste money, big time!
    The reason for using ebony is tone, and that costs! Why ruin that tone, by adding extra cost for a mediocre epoxy coating? (There are no good epoxy coatings)

11. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    Yes, that's exactly right. I'd rather replace the fingerboard in x amount of years than listen to the horrid noise of steel clanking on expoxy.