Epoxying a defretted board

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eric Perry, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Hi all...
    I recently defretted an older Spector 5'er. I need to epoxy the board. Here's my queston. I'd rather not use something clear, as I want to cover the lines, and the board dots. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
  2. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Perhaps using strips of matching wood, styrene (won't necessarily cover the lines, but it will fill them in, which is what you need to do first anyway) or the like to fill the slots (using glues like Titebond for wood and CA for styrene), making the surface level (with whatever radius, but you get the idea), and then epoxying the surface. Use thin coats, sanding in between. Then, to make it nice and greasy, eat fried chicken before playing (which, if memory serves correctly, Jaco was known for doing).
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Most resins are clear or amber. I think many epoxy manufacturers will sell you pigments to color the stuff if that's what you want.

Look at Stew Mac and see if they have any pigments for epoxy.
  4. Thanks FBB. I'll check into that. :)
  5. On one of my fretless basses, I used veneer strips that were the same colour as the rosewood fret board. The can be seen if you look at it front on, but difficult to see from a distance. I suppose it won't be easy to see live.

Jaco's treatment would've been the same, as he filled the slots with putty. You would be able to see the lines on his bass also. No big deal.

Alternatively, and not recommended, is to apply a very dark stain to the board (top and sides after sanding the lacquer of the sides) or just paint the fret board the same colour as ebony then coat it with epoxy. This would be a messy job and if it stuffs up, there may be no way to remove the stain.

6. You don't need pigments from the epoxy manufacturer if you want black. There are two perfectly good substitutes you can use - dry tempera paint powder or copier toner. I've used both to make black epoxy and they work great.